Iowa Roll Call

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings- I am in the Des Moines are (Waukee) and would like to find close by brewers.
Looking into the IBU and the Ames Brew nuts. Thanks!
James

Iowa City area for me. I haven't really looked into the club thing too much. There's one here, but I could never seem to make it to a meeting.

There's a Homebrewing Today group on facebook started by a guy from Des Moines who seems to be really active.

Iowa Brewers Union meeting is Monday 7pm - 9pm - hoping to meet some brewers!
January Monthly IBU Meeting
Monday, the 15th, is our annual monthly meeting at the Iowa Taproom.

Cedar Rapids here. Part of the (for now) Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts. Name change incoming though as we got a cease and desist letter from the "Beer Nuts" snack company.

Quad Cities here. We have a club, and I will be attending my first meeting this month (may as well hang out with some others that suffer from the same disease as me). As for the Des Moines area, I know plenty of people from there, but I am the only brewer I know.

Fort dodge. FDBC. Newly formed I believe. Or else Ames, ankeny, Cedar Rapids and the awesome IBU. Many of options.

Just a heads up fellow Iowans, the IBU Open registration has started! Just remembered this today ;)

The timing is a bit off for this one for me. I'm brewing two beers for the national competition and ensuring the right timing for that makes them off for the IBU event. I'm already pushing my capacity doing two for the other event. Adding more just can't happen.

Maybe next year I'll have some beers that don't need to be fresh to enter....

The timing is a bit off for this one for me. I'm brewing two beers for the national competition and ensuring the right timing for that makes them off for the IBU event. I'm already pushing my capacity doing two for the other event. Adding more just can't happen.

Maybe next year I'll have some beers that don't need to be fresh to enter....

Yeah, it's kind of poor timing. I just happen to have a batch of my house-ish pale ale going and some extra bottles from another beer that I'm submitting. Hopefully next year I can plan stuff out a little better :)

I go to northeast iowa to see in-laws and fish a lot. Decorah used to have a good homebrew supply shop, but they took off. I'm glad I used my gift certificate before they closed up.

I go to northeast iowa to see in-laws and fish a lot. Decorah used to have a good homebrew supply shop, but they took off. I'm glad I used my gift certificate before they closed up.

I go to BIY in north liberty quite a bit but I'm worried about them. They keep cutting back their hours which probably isn't s good sign.

I go to BIY in north liberty quite a bit but I'm worried about them. They keep cutting back their hours which probably isn't s good sign.

Yeah, I go to their Cedar Rapids location on a regular basis. Nikki and Joe (owners) are good people, despite their general disdain for our homebrew club. Last few times I've gone I've noticed less and less inventory, though I may have just caught them on odd days. The hour cuts concern me, and I've heard they're struggling a bit. I really think they should've moved to a more central location rather than open a second, but I don't know what the situation was at the time.

Guess I'll represent the Northwest! Sheldon, Orange City area. Too far from anywhere big enough to have a club.

You probably don't remember, we talked a bit a year or so ago because my dad's farm is Lone Tree Center Farm and I thought the coincidence was cool.

That's right that's awesome. How the homebrewing coming? Friends of ours are the girls vball coach at Sioux center. We try and catch up with them whenever we can.

That's right that's awesome. How the homebrewing coming? Friends of ours are the girls vball coach at Sioux center. We try and catch up with them whenever we can.

Actually not too well. I only brew a few times a year, and have made some mistakes. Always learning more, though.

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't brew as often as I'd like. Kids job life etc get in the way. I like to think I'm always learning when I'm brewing though. Just like cooking.

I forgot to mention that I joined the Iowa City club a few months back (THIRSTY). So far the people and beer have both been great. I'll definitely stay in the club.

Anybody going to The Great Taste?

North Liberty here, I've thought about joining THIRSTY but with me working nights and a already tight schedule I don't think i could attend any meetings. Have been trying to do more shopping at BIY but their hours are kinda tough and it seems more often than not they don't have just what I need so I tweak things on the spot.

Greetings- I am in the Des Moines are (Waukee) and would like to find close by brewers.
Looking into the IBU and the Ames Brew nuts. Thanks!
James
Originally from Lamoni in Southern Iowa, now living in Seattle. Lots of great home brew shops out here on the West Coast. Graduated from Univ of Iowa in the 90's , wish I would have known about home brewing then. Still learning and having fun.

Outside the Waterloo area, brew on my own, but love reading online tips and experiences. I am going to attempt my first lager this year.

I did attend one meeting of CR Beer Nuts years ago and they were some very nice and welcoming people, just not my thing at this time.

Dean

Southeast IA down near Bloomfield. There are a few others around here that brew and swap ideas, tips, etc but not organized enough (or have time) to do the club thing. I usually manage to get in a brew a month on average. This year my Oktoberfest is actually ready in October as opposed to being brewed in October - ha!

Southeast IA down near Bloomfield. There are a few others around here that brew and swap ideas, tips, etc but not organized enough (or have time) to do the club thing. I usually manage to get in a brew a month on average. This year my Oktoberfest is actually ready in October as opposed to being brewed in October - ha!

Congrats, I plan my marzen for November or December. ;(

Noob from Quad Cities.

At the top of this post said the Quad Cities has a club, is that still ongoing?

Far east central here, Monticello. Lone wolfing it for 6 years, joined the Cedar Rapids Brewers Society (formerly beer nuts) last year.

I live in Altoona. I’m always looking for someone to brew with! I’m part of the Ankeny Area brewers club. We have a great time at events.

I have a client in Eddyville I have to service occasionally, does that count? :)

You guys thawed out yet? Last time I was there it was a bit nipply.

I have a client in Eddyville I have to service occasionally, does that count? :)

You guys thawed out yet? Last time I was there it was a bit nipply.

Not yet. One more cold blast (sub zero) this weekend/early week and then we should be done. We've still got an inch or two of ice underneath most of our snow, so that should be fun...

We've had such a lovely winter here in Southwest Iowa (near Red Oak), that I now have a 7 foot snowblower mounted on the rear of my tractor. Moving to an acreage has been more....interesting(?) than I expected. I haven't found many other homebrewers down here. When I mention the hobby here, people usually think it's purpose is to make Bud Light by the barrel, and give a blank look when I speak of dry-hopped amber ales.

Back