Iodophor Dosage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThoughtPolice

Reaction score
What dosage do you guys use with your Iodophor?
I notice that it smells strongly at full strength, which is 1 TSP / 1.5 gallon. It freaks me out, so I use 1 TSP / 4 gallon. I assume it works, because it has up til this point avoided bacterial contamination in the couple cases I've used this diluted concentration.

So yea, I'm wondering who uses Iodophor and at what concentration. I am trying out all the different cleaners and sanitizers, trying to figure out what works best in my case...

Peace

Five star's recommended dosage is 1 oz (liquid) per five gallons of water. This will give 25 ppm titratable iodine, which sanitizes after a one minute contact time.

1 oz by volume is roughly 30 ml. Therefore, six ml per gallon, or 1.5 ml per quart -- forgive the mixed units.

I personally use iodophor at this concentration, and have for a long time. The easy way to measure it, in my opinion, is to get a syringe from your local pharmacy, so you can measure accurately in these small increments. This concentration will stain plastics, but I've never noticed an off flavor from it.

I don't go below the recommended dosage in my brewery. For the small cost of iodophor, why risk it? The smell dissapates, and the stain doesn't matter. Incidentally, if you spill iodophor, or want to take the stains out of something, water treatment drops for aquarium use contain sodium thiosulfate, which removes iodophor stains completely. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/iodophor-stains-chemistry-rescue-120504/

Back