Iodine allergies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
I made some beer for a family reunion and sanitized with an iodophor solution. Do you think I should tell people with iodine allergies not to drink it? I figure during the entire process there was maybe a half ounce of the solution (1/2 tsp of undiluted/gallon) broken up into 48 bottles which by my math is 0.3 ml which comes down to about 15 ppm.

What do you guys think? Anyone ever give iodophor sanitized beer to people who had iodine allergies?

Thats an interesting question. I have no idea of the answer. But I wonder how they handle eating out at restaurants where iodophor is sometimes used as a sanitizer. And where the salt may be iodized?

Tell them how much iodine is in it and let them decide(they should have a better idea how sensitive they are then you)

I would also switch sanitiser to avoid the issue in the future

Iodine is not an allergen.

I was skeptical about that as well, but it turns out it can be, in very rare cases: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-effects-of-an-iodine-allergy.htm

Based on skimming the first couple paragraphs of that link, my guess would be that people with iodine sensitivity would be completely fine, and since an actually iodine allergy is exceedingly rare, you probably don't have a problem. As others have said, though, might be worth running by the people who believe they have an allergy to iodine.

Ah, good to know the distinction. Doesn't the iodine dissipate with air? The color does. I'm sure places that use iodine sanitizers air dry, so maybe that's how they get away with it. On the other hand, while beer in the fermenter has a good head space, it has little to no moving air, and the bottles even less so.

This is true but the color will go away even in a closed container. I keep a spray bottle of mixed Iodophor on hand all the time and after a week or so, it looks just like water but still smells like sanitizing solution. I wonder if it still works as well, if at all. I usually pitch it out after the color changes simply because I don't trust it after that.

---Chris

Back