Introduction---Whirlpool question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffreybandel

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Jeff Bandel. I haven't brewed in over 8 years but plan on firing a batch up this weekend.

Equipment summary:
1. I have a three tiered keggle set up.
2. A pump used for recylcing in mash tun, whirlpooling and pumping into fermenter.
3. I have a brand new Duda diesel plate chiller.

OK. So I just bought a whirlpool fitting (from bargainfittings.com) for my BK and have a few questions.

1. My pick up tube pulls out of the very bottom of the dome. I guess I need to move this "up" and more towards the side. How far up so that when I am whirlpooling I don't pick up junk from the pile but maximize my yields?

2. How high up from the pick up tube should I install the whirlpool fitting?

3. How far away (horizontally) should I install the whirlpool fitting?

4. What direction should I point the whirlpool? away or towards the pick up tube?

Thanks guys. Great site.

I'm am not sure on these because I don't have one myself but I think I can answer one of the questions. I think you would want you whirlpool tube to be facing the same direction as your pick up tube because if the whirlpool were facing the opposite direction, at the beginning of the whirlpool it would be forcing things up your dip tube. Again I'm not really sure on that since I don't have one myself but I think that just makes sense, but I could be wrong.

The whirlpool effect was minimal on a 13 gallon batch in my keggle. I whirpooled for 20 minutes and then whirlpooled while I cooled with the plate chiller. Very disappointing.

Latest posts

Back