Introduction to Home Malting by George De Piro book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foragedbrews

Reaction score
Hey, sorry I'm not sure where to post this.

I'm trying to source this, preferably as an e-book as I'm in the UK I imagine getting a print copy to be even more difficult than in the US since it appears quite esoteric as society is concerned... but it looks particularly hopeful. Long story short I'm looking to grow my own adjunct malts, rye oats spelt etc, not barley (or at least not yet) and this is only useful if I can also learn to malt.

If people can suggest better books, I'm all ears.

I came across this five page pdf and considering the topic am left wondering if there really is more - like an actual "book" - hiding out there yet undiscoverable via Googling?

https://cdn.homebrewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Introduction-to-Home-Malting.pdf
Cheers!
Yes I was tricked by Google into downloading that too! I hope so, but who knows where!
Finally, a way to make brewing even harder.
🤣 I get that, but I'm a hobby fundamentalist. It's a blessing for my ADHD's need for constant mental stimulation, but a curse for my physical energy levels sometimes.

Having the knowledge of how barley is produced from field to a bag of malted grain is very interesting but there's a lot of work and science that goes into it.

There was a guy in our brew club that malted his own grain. He'd buy a ton or two of barley from a farmer then crank up his system in his basement. Sprouting the grain in a series of tubs, then washing and drying then the kilning in trays above his wood stove. Some of the grains he would roast in the kitchen oven.

Barley from the farm was ten bucks a bag. Malted barley from a malting company was around fifty. Thus was many years ago.

Very impressive set up and the aroma when he was roasting the grain was heavenly. Him and his girlfriend would consume a keg or two every week so it sort if made sense to become your own melting company.

Like I mentioned, great knowledge. He made good beer. When I buy grain I like to know what I'm getting. Crystal malt, roasted malt or base grains. If you only make one type of beer it would be fine not to know to what degree its roasted.

Having the knowledge of how barley is produced from field to a bag of malted grain is very interesting but there's a lot of work and science that goes into it.

There was a guy in our brew club that malted his own grain. He'd buy a ton or two of barley from a farmer then crank up his system in his basement. Sprouting the grain in a series of tubs, then washing and drying then the kilning in trays above his wood stove. Some of the grains he would roast in the kitchen oven.

Barley from the farm was ten bucks a bag. Malted barley from a malting company was around fifty. Thus was many years ago.

Very impressive set up and the aroma when he was roasting the grain was heavenly. Him and his girlfriend would consume a keg or two every week so it sort if made sense to become your own melting company.

Like I mentioned, great knowledge. He made good beer. When I buy grain I like to know what I'm getting. Crystal malt, roasted malt or base grains. If you only make one type of beer it would be fine not to know to what degree its roasted.
I am a glutton for punishment, so I'm aware of the work that goes into it and still want to do it. I've done traditional (no power tools besides the chainsaw to fell the tree and the time we used a mill to make the shakes, similar to shingles, for the roof) timber framing in the depths of winter for minimum wage for five years. I think I have what it takes to see through this gruelling process! I intend for this not to just become a fun experience but to learn how it's done in order to invest and do it basically as part of my brewing. My intention is for my brewery to be curated farmhouse ales, wild fermented, fruited and/or sour. So small batch with a lot of focus, rather than lots of cheap beer.

I am a glutton for punishment, so I'm aware of the work that goes into it and still want to do it. I've done traditional (no power tools besides the chainsaw to fell the tree and the time we used a mill to make the shakes, similar to shingles, for the roof) timber framing in the depths of winter for minimum wage for five years. I think I have what it takes to see through this gruelling process! I intend for this not to just become a fun experience but to learn how it's done in order to invest and do it basically as part of my brewing. My intention is for my brewery to be curated farmhouse ales, wild fermented, fruited and/or sour. So small batch with a lot of focus, rather than lots of cheap beer.
Good for you and I think it's really neat to go through the process not just to learn but to put it in action so to say. For me, I'm good to leave it to the experts as they know more about it more than I ever will. I've read a lot about it, seen it in action and that's enough for me.

Good for you and I think it's really neat to go through the process not just to learn but to put it in action so to say. For me, I'm good to leave it to the experts as they know more about it more than I ever will. I've read a lot about it, seen it in action and that's enough for me.
I crave the ordeal haha. I'd make a good Catholic...

In case anyone finds this wondering the same, I've finally got to the root of it! The five page pdf linked is all there is because it's not a book, it's an article from a Zymurgy magazine edition, Jan/Feb 2001... and it's included in the book Malt by John Mallett.

Mystery solved!

Back