Using GF pale ale kits as base with added home malted grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maher0032

Reaction score
Hi All.

I’m relatively new to home brewing. looking to crack the gluten free home brew challenge like most of us here.

I have done a few GF full home kits which turned out fine but am trying to graduate to more customisable brews with grains. However, living in Ireland and being a GF brewer I am finding it very difficult to source malt remotely affordably (long distance heavy shipping, tariffs etc... would push the grain bill for a 5gal batch to over €100

I have attempted brewing regular non-GF kits with clarity Ferm but GlutenTox test kits showed a fairly high positive reading, so not planning on going that route again.

In the last week I tried my hand at home malting and have managed to successfully malt a half kg bag of whole grain popcorn in a home made auto sprouter. Given this I’m thinking the best way for me to proceed could be to use the GF pale ale kits as base malt (such as Simply Pale Ale - this turned out nice but a bit darker than I expected when I made it on its own) and add some GF home malted and roasted grains such as buck wheat, corn, oats, quinoa etc... which I can get here in ireland in small quantities from health stores etc.. (can be pricy but manageable for a few kgs).

I know these kits are pre hopped but my plan is to do a partial mash with my home made malted grains and ritchies analyse enzyme to convert the wort, add the pale ale kit and dextrose to this, add water and bring to a boil, run a hop schedule and ferment. The idea is that this could be the most cost effective way for me to create custom GF brews such as red and darker ales with various characteristics from the adjuncts without sourcing large quantities of GF malt overseas.

Is this a hair brained idea or could it work?
Advice from more experienced GF home brewers much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Hey Paul,

I recommend that you join this Facebook group. There are many members outside the US that malt their own grains. I know there is also discussion of possible malts being made available in the EU, but not sure of their progress.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZeroToleranceGF/

They also have videos on YouTube discussing things like malting, mashing, etc.

if you have a feed store near by...i've malted and brewed 100% oat beer from whole oats before...

can't say i think 'most' people are GF brewers, but i've got some experience malting....

i've also used industrial enzymes (alpha, gluco amylase) to make a 100% rice beer...

edit: 20lb bag of rice here is 9 bucks, 50lb bag of oats at the feed store, 13...i can get 10 gallons out of the rice and 20 out of the oats

Back