Introducing my: "WTF Else Could Go Wrong?" Ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously?!?!? everyone is okay with a child falling on their head? You're more reassuring about the beer?!?!?

The child is fine, relax. I have three of my own. They can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. It's what they do, and it's how they learn. If the boy had not screamed bloody murder, that's when it's really scary.

So keep the hope alive, Missjacki, one day soon you may have a very helpful brew partner. My three year old girl loves to help brew, though my five year old girl is not interested.:mug:

Thanks for sharing your brew story. Hoping your kid & beer are OK. Great name for a beer: "WTF Else Could Go Wrong? Ale"

How to begin the story?....let's see...thought I could squeeze in brewing a quick extract ale while my 2 year old boy napped today.

Put him down for nap. Santizied equipment, boiled water etc. When I went to add the syrup to the water I realized there was MOLD all over the surface of the extract...this is the first time I've had to deal with mold; though I've read about it before and basically learned that you can scoop out the mold and your beer will probably be OK. So I came to this forum just to double check that assumption; and was reassured: "Go ahead and use the extract" (sans mold of course.....)

OK, so I add the syrup. At pretty much that exact moment, my boy wakes up crying unexpectedly after only about 30 mins...I had counted on a 2+ hour nap...so I go to deal with him for a couple of minutes and come back to learn that I have SCORCHED the extract to the bottom of the pot because I did not get the chance to stir the mixture and turn down the heat like I normally would....

So I take a strainer and sift off all the floating chunks of scorched crud....

Now it is time to add hops....as I am adding vacuum sealed hops to their straining bags, my child falls off a chair straight to his head with a sickening "thump" and he immediately screams bloody murder....I literally drop the hops and bag and go to comfort my child.... when I come back most of the hops have landed on the counter....which I figure..."Oh well, I cleaned the counters this morning, it's probably fine." and I proceed to sweep the hops (and whatever else) from the counter into the straining bags....

I add the hops to the wort...

Then, of course, the phone rings....when I am in the middle of a conversation with one of my husband's customers I realize the wort is boiling over and I am losing precious liquid gold!!!!!!!!!

If it were anyone else but a customer on the phone, I could abruptly end the converstaion...but I have to keep my cool and quietly attend to the boil-over whilst not seeming rude....so I sacrified precious ounces of sugars for the greater goal of having a successful business....

That was basically it....after that everything seemed to go pretty normally. I just pitched the yeast about an hour ago...curious to see how this baby turns out....

Considering that the recipe for which I was most excited turned out to be one of the biggest turds I have ever drank....maybe this will turn out to be spectacular?

keeping my fingers crossed.......:rockin:

I feel frustration. I'm a stay-at-home dad with 3 and 1 year old. I tried brewing during my youngest's nap ONCE. Just like you, everything seemed to wrong.

Now, I prep everything and steep the grains during his nap, then finish brewing after everyone has fallen asleep.

Anywho, I'm sure you'l be talking about this years to come. :tank:

E

Why not just brew when the kid goes to bed for the night?

I will be so enjoying it when my baby is old enough to start having an earlier night-time sleeping schedule. Right now I shudder at the thought of brewing after she goes to sleep (which is around midnight). I am in school full time and my brain is fuzzy enough as it is. :drunk:

Thankfully my husband takes her when I brew. He's awesome :D

Back