Introduced

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saturday, we had some folks over for a brew day, three other families including five kids. Brewed up an Amber together. Beautiful day outside, children played in the large outdoor expanse of Estate du Pappers, and we ate pie and banana bread.

http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html?entry=brew-party-introducing-new-people

Great fun introducing folks to making beer by hand. We did a tasting, too, of some beers and ciders. Oh, and some people brought knitting ;)

Knitting_and_Brewing_1.jpg

FYI, that's not my brew pot, that's a smaller pot in which I was heating 3 gallons of water.

Yes, I agree, its always fun to brew with people who are new to it. Its not exactly evangelism, I don't care if they brew or not, but it is fun to help people learn about something new.

A few weeks ago, one of these folks introduced me to making jams and canning. So this was reciprocating that hospitality. They'll come over again when its time to bottle.

Had some interesting conversations - one guy said that he always drinks his favorite beer, Newcastle, at room temperature, which led to more talk about how we perceive flavors and aromas, and how that relates to beers in particular.

Here's the recipe we used for this group brew, borrowed liberally from or inspired by recipes here:

6 lbs Two-Row Barley Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
1.5 lbs Caramel Malt 60L
1 lb Wheat Malt
0.5 lb Caramel Malt 20L
0.5 oz Bravo Hops (13%) (60 minutes)
0.5 oz Bravo Hops (13%) (10 minutes)
1 oz Cascade Hops (7 %) (5 minutes)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
Fermentis US-05 Yeast

This was a 6 gallon batch, mashed at 152 F, and fermenting at 65 F. Original gravity was 1.046. We may dry-hop with Cascades. We used organic malts and hops, as we usually do.

Back