Intersting carbonation situation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
So this is my second kegged brew, it has great carbonation and great head. I left it at 30 psi for 24 hours and now it's been 2 weeks at 10psi. Everything is great but there is barely a visible bubble in the beer. Even with my Sam Adams glasses with laser etched bottom (even bud light produces bubbles in those glasses). Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, not really a problem because the beer is good, just lacking in the visual aspect I guess.

Don't got exact temp, just normal cold fridge temps, its a freezerless kenmore with the tap coming through the door, I poured a couple big 22oz glasses tonight. One glass took me 30 min to finish, carbonated to the last drop just no bubbles while sitting idle in the glass.

sounds like you might just have a head retention issue. I don't know all of the things that can cause that, but overuse of fermcap, oily ingredients (like chocolate) and dirty glassware are the three in my head right now.
Does anyone else have a more exhaustive list?

Speaking of ^that...

- what style brew might this be?
- what was the intended carbonation level?
- how was the keg carbed?

Cheers!

It randomely has normal bubbles now, maybe it just needed to take on more c02 in the solution. When it had no bubbles it did have, great head, and great carbonation.

I don't think I'm understanding. You said it had great carbonation, but no bubbles in the beer?? :confused:
If you're lines are not balanced or the beer is too warm you can knock all the carbonation out of solution when pouring, so you get this big head over flat beer - i.e. no bubbles. Is that what you mean?

Like I said interesting Carbonation situation, lines are cold, everything about the beer was great, there just were no visible bubbles at the time in the glass. When I would take a drink the movement of the beer in the glass would create some, than would quickly die down again.

Like I said interesting Carbonation situation, lines are cold, everything about the beer was great, there just were no visible bubbles at the time in the glass. When I would take a drink the movement of the beer in the glass would create some, than would quickly die down again.

That leads me to think that the lines are too short, and are probably 5-6' in length.

If that is true, if the serving lines lengths are increased to 10-12' lines (3/16"), the pours will magically improve to carbonated beer with a fine head with lacing in the glass.

I have the same problem I believe. Keezer is regulated between 36-39 degrees. All three kegs have been sitting on 9psi for about a month. Pour's fast, great head and no visible bubbles floating to the top in the actual beer. Beer still taste delicious...

Yooper, what is the science behind that? Don't doubt ya, just trying to figure a way to explain to my wife why I need to get longer lines is all. She doesn't believe in magic, although I do, so some fun facts would be nice to toss at her.

Beer was carbonated good, had head and lacing. Like I said all things normal, just at the time three visible bubbles were none existent, a few days later they were there. My lines are 6ft long though, good estimate there yoop.

Latest posts

Back