interesting krausen -- Is this normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulczak

Reaction score
So all 3 beers I had made prior to this I used a dry safale 4 packet. No rehydration no nothing.

This time for my #4, I used a wyeast 3068 to help in making a hefeweisen type beer. (OG ~1.050).

So curiously enough saw full blown fermentation at about 16 to 18 hours after pitching with krausen being blown off. That was 5 days ago. The krausen didn't really start falling till about 3 days later (Fridayish) and there is still a milky white foam on top that hasn't yet fallen or gone away maybe 1/2 inch tall. Doesn't look like normal krausen but maybe like foam but brilliantly white foam. Its not foam though because the bubbles are big. Perhaps a photo is in store.

IS this normal? :mug:

yeah, it's hard to say without a picture - and even if we could see it, you sometimes never know what the yeasties will do.

got my fingers crossed for you :)

Every yeast I've used has behaved differently. Until you get to know the yeast, its behavior can be surprising. Right now I'm using Wyeast 1968 London ESB for the first time and it is interesting to say the least.

Without a picture, I'd guess that what you're seeing is normal for the yeast you're using, it's just different than the S-04 you're used to.

3068 is indeed an odd yeast. The first time I used it, I almost pitched (threw away) the starter because I was sure it was infected. It wasn't, just looked really odd. I'm sure yours is fine.

Back