Interesting fermentation start...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
This has happened to me twice now... 11 gallon batches and split between two carboys... Used the same yeast in each carboy (Nottie for one batch, S-04 for the other) and both times one of the carboys takes off like a scalded dog... The other is showing signs of life, albeit a little slower...

Any thoughts as to why this would occur?

TIA

:mug:

I've said it over and over and over, and your "experiment" proves it...One thing to realize is that since we are dealing with living micro-orgasms, that no two fermentations are ever the same. So we shouldn't expect them to be.

And to never assume that because something is happening differently, in one batch to another, that there is something wrong.

When we are dealing with living creatures, there is a wild card factor in play..Just like with other animals, including humans...No two behave the same.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....

Which yeast is giving the slow ferment? I've seen some folks here mention that they've experienced less than ideal starts with Notty recently.

Which yeast is giving the slow ferment? I've seen some folks here mention that they've experienced less than ideal starts with Notty recently.

Both carboys ahd the same yeast. He meant he's done this twice, One time both carboys had Notty, the other time both carboys had S04.
I'd say one could have had better aeration and you're getting getting 2 different packs of Yeast, different strengths. It's weird though.

I have notty in #1,and 05 in #2. off of BM's cent blond I did yesterday. the 05 was first out of the gate and is about to need a blow off.:ban:

notty is bringing up the rear strongly. #3 has some W.L British Ale and is on the slow boat. the one with 05 will get racked on some strawberrys.

its just how it is,but they seem to always end at the same F.G.

Glad to help prove a point Revvy... :D

Just checked on them when I got home and I currently have a small mess of blowoff that I need to get cleaned up... Both of them tossed a little lunch... Kinda makes me happy....

Thanks for the responses... Guess I will try to make a few more research attempts with a little more consistent parameters...

Which will still probably point back to the fact that weird things just happen...

:mug:

Back