instructions say to secondary at 32*?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number68

Reaction score
I went to my lhbs and he had a whole bunch of old BYO magazines, I found a recipe I liked:

4lb amber dried extract
3lb light extract syrup
1lb wheat dried extract
2oz special b
10.5aau perle
.35oz perle
.35oz goldings
.11oz star anise
.04oz seeds of paradise
.42oz bitter orange peel
.17oz sweet orange peel
.14oz cinnamon
.11oz ginger root
.75tsp irish moss

now, I didn't read the "brewing instructions" completely I guess, but says to primary till complete, and then add the cinnamon and ginger in secondary at 32* for 10-14days. Now, I have no way to get temps that low. My fermenting closet stays right around 64 which I think is perfect for primary, but other than buying a chest freezer and a temp controller, I'm at a loss for the secondary temps.

Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? I'm not sure I really understand why i'm supposed to crash it like that either.

It's being crashed for clarity. The workaround is to get it as cold as you can and wait longer.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. it's starting to get pretty cold outisde, so i can probably just hide it in the garage when that time comes. thanks!

Exactly what Gila said. Cold Crashing is a common practice where you drop the temperatures which will cause all of the sediments to fall to the bottom so you can separate them from the beer. It's not necessary, so you could spice it and continue like normal. You could also try to make a tincture to get some spice an no sediments. There are several discussions on tinctures if you want to go that route

Back