Instant coffee in a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianK3721

Reaction score
I am going to be making 10 gallons of stout and I am going to use instant coffee, but I can't seem to find any information on how much, or when to add it has anyone done this before?

All the info I found were queries as to using it, nobody seems to have used it and reported back the results.

Maybe you could split the batch using instant and "whole bean" coffee and report what you found?

Lots of beer snobbery and the same goes for coffee, but who knows . . . maybe instant coffee in stout tastes good?

an example of the threads I found:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/coffee-stout-or-porter.134394/#post-1524215

I wouldn’t! Rather, make a half gallon of cold brew coffee with course ground coffee, then add in until the flavor is where you want it. Instant coffee has a stale bitter taste to it, so unless you made a sweet stout, it’ll end up very bitter and cheap tasting.

I've improved a stout/created a new recipe just by adding a little cold brewed coffee to each pour. Just add to your taste. Some days it's a teaspoon and other days it's a tablespoon.

I don't want it sweet I want it to have a little of that instant coffee bite, but I don't want it to much. I want to know I'm drinking a stout at the same time.

I like the idea of using instant coffee to reduce O2 uptake. Add some to the keg, purge with CO2 and rack the beer like you would dry hops in a closed transfer.

The problem with a lot of coffee beers is that coffee oxidizes quickly. Instant coffee is used to make coffee iced cream. Why wouldn't it work well in beer?

I think people just don't like the idea of using something thats beer processed.

Latest posts

Back