Inland Island Brett Barrel III Band-aid beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jochild

Reaction score
I recently transferred my 100% Brett Barrel Soured beer to secondary and pulled a sample to test the progress. It has been in primary in a plastic fermenter for
a little over a month, with quite a bit of head space, and it had a huge pellicle on top. It smelled great, but the taste had quite a bit of band-aid/chemically plastic flavor.

I know sours take months to develop their flavors, and some tastes might come and go. My question is: will this flavor also mellow out? It is extremely overpowering right now, and from what I've read about band-aid beer, it usually has to be dumped.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Most likely chlorophenol. I got it once with a Rauchbier a long time ago and IME it does not age out (after 1+ year, mine still tasted like crap). I've used that yeast a bunch of times without any issues. The first thing I'd look at is your water. If the water is the problem, distilled water, carbon-filtered water, RO water, or Campden tablets are your best bets.

I third this- bandaid /plastic does not age or blend away This is the unfortunate side of sour brewing- you are always gonna have some "dumpers".

Ethylcatechol, Ethylphenol, Vinylphenol are chemicals produced by most Brettanomyces strains that produce those band-aid or plastic like phenols. It sometimes can be re broken down by other Brett strains or other microbes like Wicherhamomyces, but for the most part it usually sticks around. In some styles its desirable to have a certain PPM but over that threshold becomes the problem.

The only time I experienced band aid off flavour was when brewing a saison with belgian yeast. After isolating the different probable causes i came tot the conclusion that the chlorine in thw water was the issue. Not sure where you live and if they increase chloramine in summer time and if your have a proper filter at home but for me this was definitely the cause. Never had this problem in 6 years since i installed a proper chlorine filter.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Latest posts

Back