Inkbird IPB-16 help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad_C

Reaction score
I set up my Inkbird controller last night for the first time. I am using it to control a RIMS tube. Whenever I get it powered on, the PV reading is way too high. When running 140 degree water through the RIMS tube, not powering the element, the controller is reading the temp in the 7-800 range. Is there a setting that I need to configure, or is the controller itself at fault?
8374E874-E892-480A-80DE-3772C349258E.jpeg

Make sure the probe is plugged in correctly?

Otherwise something is obviously broken (might just be the probe, not sure).

Make sure the probe is plugged in correctly?

Otherwise something is obviously broken (might just be the probe, not sure).

Thanks, probe is fully seated. Unfortunately it’s been sitting in the box for over a year, so out of warranty. Unfortunately I never got around to installing it until last night.

Do you have the instruction manual? I don't have that model inkbird, but there are settings on mine that return values in different ranges like that and you have to have the probe matched to the unit in the settings. Different industrial applications.

Mine has a whole range of settings and even with the manual, I had to watch a video from another homebrewer to get it set up right.

Whats' the inkbird model number? Any information on the probe itself? Somebody probably has one and could check the settings with you.

I have the manual, and I’ve tried to figure out the settings. I’ve watched YouTube videos on how to set it up, and while they certainly help none seem to have the issue I’m having. It seems that the input value is not calibrated correctly, or I have a wrong input value somewhere that I’m missing.

Do you have another Inkbird temperature controller by chance with the same type probe? You might be able to swap and that could test if your probe is working.

Thank you! That did it! My input sensor type was wrong. Reading within parameters now. Time to get it calibrated.

Out of curiosity, which setting worked? Was it K?

If I have it correct, Inkbird says the sensor that comes with it is a 2M/6.56ft NTC Sensor, which is a "Negative Temperature Coefficient" thermistor but I wasn't able to determine what SN code was correct for it. General literature on NTC thermistors says they work in the range -55-200C. But that range fits into the ranges given for several settings.

I set it to PT since it said that that was the default. It was on Cu50. I checked it in ice water, read 32.5 degrees. I am now heating up water to run the auto tune.

Back