[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we lost all of our requested features when the site crashed last week. :(

Please resubmit any suggestions you have so we can gauge interest!

Ok...So I haven't had to put an "instructable" together for a looong time, so bear with me. First person through let me know if there are any problems and I'll fix 'em up pronto. And I hope putting this here is ok with the 'Pints community!
I followed your directions and got it working with only a couple of small issues. The first command didn't have 'sudo' at the beginning, this was pretty easy to figure out.

For some reason the zip file would not unzip and I kept getting a unknown file error message. I downloaded on another computer and unzipped there and then emailed the files to myself so I could put them in the correct places.

The motion detector system is working great!

I can't get the screensaver to show any images and keep getting a "there are no acceptable images in the /home/pi/screensaver-images directory". There are actually lots of images in that directory some png, some jpeg and some gif but the screensaver refuses to recognize them. I'll keep working on that but the actual motion detector is working perfectly.

Thank you for taking the time to document this.

Ray, you probably were typing the wrong filename for the zip if you kept getting that error.

As for the screensaver... going out on a limb here, as I've never even seen this mod you guys are trying... probably permissions error. Chmod that directory recursively 777.

I followed your directions and got it working with only a couple of small issues. The first command didn't have 'sudo' at the beginning, this was pretty easy to figure out.

Thanks for that! I've updated my instructions accordingly - and added the package update command I should have included as well.

For some reason the zip file would not unzip and I kept getting a unknown file error message. I downloaded on another computer and unzipped there and then emailed the files to myself so I could put them in the correct places.

I'm able to use Raspbian unzip successfully on the archive.

The motion detector system is working great!

Excellent! You're most of the way there then!

I can't get the screensaver to show any images and keep getting a "there are no acceptable images in the /home/pi/screensaver-images directory". There are actually lots of images in that directory some png, some jpeg and some gif but the screensaver refuses to recognize them. I'll keep working on that but the actual motion detector is working perfectly.

If I understand correctly, you have xscreensaver kicking in and then being woken up by the PIR, but you're trying to get xscreensaver to use some of your own images and it can't/won't find them?

I've only used a subset of the computer-generated screensavers, and then switched to just a blank screen when I realized how busy the generated screensavers kept the wee RPi. I never tried having xscreensaver load actual image files.

Thank you for taking the time to document this.

My pleasure for sure! I've been having a ball with this and no sense in not sharing if anyone's interested!

If there's something I should tweak wrt the xscreensaver configuration, let me know...

Cheers!

So the PIR came in the mail today. I got it all wired up and ran the test program. It seemed to work so I added the run program to autostart and I never got it to work correctly.

It may be that my soldering skills are horrible and/or the fact that I used 15 feet of 24 guage wire. I didn't mess with the sensitivity/range adjustments because I figure if it won't register my hand waving directly in front of it, then adjusting those settings probably won't help. I'll get it though...

It's probably not the wiring as I proved that wire length/gauge will work (at least with a test cohort size of one unit ;) )

I started with the PIR sensor sensitivity adjustment set to 50% of its range, and the time delay set to minimum (rotated counter-clockwise to the stop). If you have the PIR sensor working with the test program reliably, you just have to get the software side set up properly. Let me know if you've made any progress...

Cheers!

I think my crappy soldering has something to do with it. I'm gonna wait until I get some female jumper wires and just attach those.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Got my "touch screen" this morning.
Plug and Play no extra programs for it. Had to install a "virtual keyboard"
something to get used to. :D

Got my "touch screen" this morning.
Plug and Play no extra programs for it. Had to install a "virtual keyboard"
something to get used to. :D

Link to the screen?

fwiw, I've put together a kit to add a one or two channel web accessible temperature logger to the Raspberry Pi and started a thread here rather than clutter this thread further with my OT tweakage ;)

Cheers!

Does this display work off the hdmi port or do you have to plug in a USB also? I read some of the displays for windows 8 now require it I but I don't have one to spare on my pi.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
There's a type B usb port on the screen that control the "touch" that plug into the usb port of the PI/HUB. There's 2 usb type A ports,speaker and some other ports as well.
Running a background radio through the speaker out on the screen.

Question:
How do I access my RaspPint from outside my network?
I want to add it to my website.
Thanks

I bought some female to female jumpers that worked fine and did not require any soldering.

Would you mind sharing where you sourced them from? I would love to implement the motion sensor functionality so I can stop going down to turn the monitor on every day. ;)

Would you mind sharing where you sourced them from? I would love to implement the motion sensor functionality so I can stop going down to turn the monitor on every day. ;)

Got mine on amazon. 40 for $2 shipped.

Question:
Thanks

Toward the beginning of this thread, there are directions for it but basically you use a service like noip.com

Just so you know at the request a feature page is giving a "404 — Fancy meeting you here!" -- nevermind. it is working now.

Also, I was thinking today when I was filling kegs. Probably a tough feature request, and one that would not get as much use as others but if I were to want to jumper two kegs of the same brew together so that I could get 10 gallons rather than 5 gallons and have to replace the keg once it blows with the other 5. I am currently carbing that way so I figure it would be a nice option to be able to chain two kegs together to serve and be able to kick them one at a time. Well, that in addition to being able to register a beer to a keg for the conditioning phase as if you were force carbing it or naturally for that matter.

Well they have been suggested.

I am stoked about this motion control screen dimming and may have to invest in those upgrades as well.

Question:
Thanks

Presuming the typical home network configuration, there will be a router that you'll need to configure to "port forward" inbound packets destined for the application port that the RaspberryPints application listens to - in this case, http port 80 - through the NAT layer and on to the internal lan ip address of your 'Pi.

Once you get that accomplished you should be able to access the 'Pints page using the external address of your lan. As that address is subject to change without warning on occasion, you can subscribe to a "dynamic dns" service that will provide a name-based access method that automagically translates to your current public ip address.

With that established you should be able to at least link your tap list to your other web page...

Cheers!

Presuming the typical home network configuration, there will be a router that you'll need to configure to "port forward" inbound packets destined for the application port that the RaspberryPints application listens to - in this case, http port 80 - through the NAT layer and on to the internal lan ip address of your 'Pi.

Once you get that accomplished you should be able to access the 'Pints page using the external address of your lan. As that address is subject to change without warning on occasion, you can subscribe to a "dynamic dns" service that will provide a name-based access method that automagically translates to your current public ip address.

With that established you should be able to at least link your tap list to your other web page...

Cheers!
Thanks all sorted :mug:

So I'm working on my install, hooked it up, and am using the Favi Mini Keyboard suggested on the parts page. It is NOT working so smoothly. I have to unplug and replug the dongle a few times, and it'll either work for a few seconds, not at all, or work for a few minutes and then crap out on me. Am I doing something wrong, was there some programming step I was supposed to go through that I missed in the instructions, or do I have a busted wifi keyboard? Frustrating!

EDIT - I went on Favi's website, the warn about a ton of knock offs. After looking at mine, it doesn't have the Favi logo in the plastic on the back or the laser pointer (it has a cheap LED instead) even though every model listed on Favi's Amazon page shows a laser pointer. Given the high number of knock offs, the poor functionality (in the Pi and on my laptop), and the missing features - I've concluded I got a knockoff and am sending it back to Amazon. If you buy one of these from the link provided, be careful not to get it from U-Sell (through Amazon Prime) - that's who sold me mine and it's a fake. - EDIT

I plugged mine right in and it worked immediately. Have you tried it in any other computers or devices yet?

Rookie question, may already have been answered, my apologoes if it has. At the admin login screen, it will not recognize my username, nor will it supply it to me after I provide my email. Is there a way to reset the admin username and password, or fix this, perhaps from a term window by editing the file within pi? Thanks in advance and sorry for the rookie question.

Rookie question, may already have been answered, my apologoes if it has. At the admin login screen, it will not recognize my username, nor will it supply it to me after I provide my email. Is there a way to reset the admin username and password, or fix this, perhaps from a term window by editing the file within pi? Thanks in advance and sorry for the rookie question.

I believe the username is admin. At least mine is and I don't recall setting it as such so might want to give that a try.

I have to say I am super impressed with this whole system. Installed and runs like a champ. got my port forwarded and is accessible from the webs. The only issue I have and was wondering if anyone had any insight into how I could rectify my issue. My taplist works across networks however the only display I had was an older monitor with only VGA plug. I did get A HDMI to VGA cord but even though the Pi is running properly when I turn the display on it just displays "DISCONNECT" in the center of the screen then the monitor cuts into standby. Is there some simple setting I am missing to get this display to accept input from the Pi via HDMI to VGA cord?

http://gilsbasementbrews.servebeer.com/

So I'm working on my install, hooked it up, and am using the Favi Mini Keyboard suggested on the parts page. It is NOT working so smoothly. I have to unplug and replug the dongle a few times, and it'll either work for a few seconds, not at all, or work for a few minutes and then crap out on me. Am I doing something wrong, was there some programming step I was supposed to go through that I missed in the instructions, or do I have a busted wifi keyboard? Frustrating!

EDIT - I went on Favi's website, the warn about a ton of knock offs. After looking at mine, it doesn't have the Favi logo in the plastic on the back or the laser pointer (it has a cheap LED instead) even though every model listed on Favi's Amazon page shows a laser pointer. Given the high number of knock offs, the poor functionality (in the Pi and on my laptop), and the missing features - I've concluded I got a knockoff and am sending it back to Amazon. If you buy one of these from the link provided, be careful not to get it from U-Sell (through Amazon Prime) - that's who sold me mine and it's a fake. - EDIT

Yeah the one I got was crap also. I went to office depot and got a logitech k400, 30 bucks well spent. It works great for TV media center also.

And now, for something completely different: I have my 'Pi not only waking up my taplist display when the PIR sensor detects someone approaching the keezer, it plays a musical greeting!

That took roughly 10 minutes to install the needed packages, install the driver, add a couple of lines of code to pir_run.py, and reboot. It took longer to dig through my parts bins in search of a 12VDC wall wart to power a pair of Labtec speakers that I'm pretty sure are older than about half the HBT population ;)

I'm using the classic Windows Start sound file ("TA DA!"). I had a "bubbles" sound track running and it scared the crap out of the wife first time she walked by the keezer ;)

Cheers!

If you were looking for a lowest-common denominator for your customer base setting this up, I'd be pretty close. I managed to get through it, I can access the RPi from my laptop and access the program so all that seems legit. The RPi boots up into Kisok Mode, but that's where my success ends. When it boots up it displays a white background and says "It Works! This is the default web page for this server. The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."

So where did I screw up?

And now, for something completely different: I have my 'Pi not only waking up my taplist display when the PIR sensor detects someone approaching the keezer, it plays a musical greeting!

That took roughly 10 minutes to install the needed packages, install the driver, add a couple of lines of code to pir_run.py, and reboot. It took longer to dig through my parts bins in search of a 12VDC wall wart to power a pair of Labtec speakers that I'm pretty sure are older than about half the HBT population ;)

I'm using the classic Windows Start sound file ("TA DA!"). I had a "bubbles" sound track running and it scared the crap out of the wife first time she walked by the keezer ;)

Cheers!

How did you do it? I want mine to play "I like beer" by Tom t hall :)

I'm going to guess /var/www/index.php, as it's the first thing RPints hits...

Cheers!

That was my guess also, but I couldn't find it and I didn't want to suggest to delete something if I'm not sure. Turns out I was not helpful at all.

Sounds like you should have used the sound track from "Jaws" instead :cross:

LOL! Yeah, that'd send my SO up the stairs in a major hurry ;)

This wee 'Pi is so friggin' cool, I keep thinking of "what if" crapola to toss on it and see what happens and so far it's like "If you can think it up, there's a way to do it".

I can totally see someone with a fancy lit coffin using this sensor to turn on the lighting effects, or even the room lighting. It actually has me thinking of how to add leds to the underside of my 6-tap t-tower...

Cheers!

How did you do it? I want mine to play "I like beer" by Tom t hall :)

Piece o' cake.

This assumes RPi GPIO support is installed.

1. Install the Alsa audio driver (note: may already be installed as part of the Raspian NOOBs kit, but it doesn't hurt to run the installer).

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install alsa-utils

2. Install MP3 player:

$ sudo apt-get install mpg321

3. Reboot the 'Pi:

$ shutdown -r now

4. Load the sound drivers:

$ sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835

5. Enable the stereo mini-plug (assumes not using HDMI sound path - if you have an hdmi monitor with speakers you probably don't need this):

$ sudo amixer cset numid=3 1

6. Copy a test mp3 file to /home/pi from...anywhere.

7. Do a sound check:

$ mpg321 your_mp3_file.mp3

Should play your file via the analog audio jack.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
To tie this to my PIR sensor setup:

1. Edit /home/pi/pir_run.py:

$ nano pir_run.py

2. Add this line right below cmd = 'xscreensaver-command -deactivate' (line 7):

playsound = 'mpg321 /home/pi/your_mp3_file.mp3'

3. Add this line right below 'os.system(cmd)' (line 15):

os.system(playsound)

^o Save the file
^ x to exit

Reboot the system and it should just plain work. When the sensor monitor triggers it will wake the screen and play the named audio file.

You can make the equivalent changes to pir_test.py first and run it to validate the sound support is working...

Cheers!

It actually has me thinking of how to add leds to the underside of my 6-tap t-tower...

I'll try deleting that file and see if she runs - thanks all. As for LEDs - I just installed a 3 tap T to replace my old 2 tap straight column. Installed some LEDs and plan to do a writeup shortly.
-Kevin

Back