[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a question. i would like to change the taps - my kegerator only has 2 taps so i would like to change it from numbers 1 & 2 to tap location and left and right. how and where would i make those modifications? i assume to the tap_form.php and the tap_list.php under /var/www/admin and change something in index.php under /var/www

thanks. im not very good with programming :(

Currently, only numbers are supported. V2 will more than likely include named taps.

Just wanted to post a slightly updated couple of pics of the amazing tap setup you've helped create.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

1393985170537.jpg

1393985183277.jpg

I gave the entire www folder 0777 permissions like it said in the install, but also checked the box to apply it to all sub folders as well. The only thing I get messages about not being able to is the logo (which I have my own and havent reapplied the permissions to) and Im ok with that cause I dont want to replace that. Havent backed up my database yet (as I only have a couple beers and 2 taps so not worried about reinputting yet) and have had no problems.

Thanks for that, I had also opened the file permissions, just hadn't given it a try. Just overwrote my 1.0.2 installation with 1.0.3 using WinSCP, got the same messages about the two logo files, but otherwise it went perfectly. This will go a long way towards making remote maintenance a piece of cake!

Cheers! :mug:

I updated to the newest version, but my fields are still not auto populating. Any ideas?

I have the same problem when tapping a keg. The first version auto populated the fields but ever since the first update it stopped. It's a minor inconvenience having to look up and note the values prior to tapping a keg but the displayed info is awesome.

So is a cheapo wireless router all I need to access the rPi from my computer/phone? I don't plan to plug in any modem or Internet connection.

[Thanks in andvance; I realize it's a slightly off topic question that I should probably already know the answer too. It's pretty awesome that I can be so ignorant to computers but still have a digital taplist due to the awesome and idiot proof instructions!]

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So is a cheapo wireless router all I need to access the rPi from my computer/phone? I don't plan to plug in any modem or Internet connection.

They just need to be on the same LAN. If you connect your RPi and computer/phone to the wifi router, that should do it.

Sweet thanks.

Are there any plans to adjust how the spacing of the header text is handled? I've got what I would consider a short and simple name, but it's long enough that it wraps the text, and overlays the tap list.

Are there any plans to adjust how the spacing of the header text is handled? I've got what I would consider a short and simple name, but it's long enough that it wraps the text, and overlays the tap list.

Not planned right now, but it's certainly something we'd love to gauge interest on.

Please submit a feature request using the link in Post #2.

Not planned right now, but it's certainly something we'd love to gauge interest on.

Please submit a feature request using the link in Post #2.

Will do. Which reminds me of something else. I've already submitted one request, but it was through the Request a Feature in the admin panel. Do these make it back to the same voting system?

Is it possible to put a MP3 player or internet radio on the SD card that can run in the background?

Is it possible to put a MP3 player or internet radio on the SD card that can run in the background?

Sure it is! You can do pretty much anything you'd be able to do on most other Linux distros. Just do some searching for 'raspbian internet radio' or the like.

I just tweaked the CSS file to make it fit. I expanded the header a bit so it would fit my name, and also made the menu fill the entire screen with only 8 beers on tap.

BTW, kudos on the software, Thadius. I don't have any labels on my taps, so this is much easier than explaining each tap every time someone wants a beer. :mug:

We did not release version 1 with the option to change the username and email through the admin panel. This would have to be done within the database.

Public Service Announcement

I've updated the installation instructions on Step 5: Package Configuration to start Chromium in Fullscreen Mode instead of Kiosk Mode. There's not a huge difference, but this simple change should re-enable the fullscreen toggle key (F11) for those having issues.

Public Service Announcement

I've updated the installation instructions on Step 5: Package Configuration to start Chromium in Fullscreen Mode instead of Kiosk Mode. There's not a huge difference, but this simple change should re-enable the fullscreen toggle key (F11) for those having issues.

I just installed mine (looks great btw!).
I hit a few things that didn't quite match the instructions. One being that the default download directory was not /home/pi but instead /home/pi/Downloads.
The second is related to Chrome, which in fact does not start in fullscreen mode with the edits to the autostart.

I was able to get around the first issue pretty easily, but I don't know Linux commands enough to figure out the Chrome issue. Ironically I've been an IT guy for fifteen years but have rarely ever messed with much Linux.

Whats the line to try kiosk mode?

Kiosk mode would be (in LXDE/autostart):

Code:
@chromium --kiosk localhost

You're right. There's something going on here. I looked up "--start-maximized" in the official docs, but it doesn't seem to be functional as of the most recent version. Will follow up and correct in the morning.

Code:

You're right. There's something going on here. I looked up "--start-maximized" in the official docs, but it doesn't seem to be functional as of the most recent version. Will follow up and correct in the morning.

Thanks, I will give that a shot in the morning as well.

I did just realize that I only had one hyphen in my command. It's hard to tell from the instructions that there's two there, as the formatting seems to shove them both together into one long hyphen.

We did not release version 1 with the option to change the username and email through the admin panel. This would have to be done within the database.

Can you explain how? I entered through that step accidently and don't have a password or email.

ALMOST got this up and running, but I've got a problem that I've not seen listed here on this thread. If it has been, forgive me. Anyway, SWMBO is a computer wizard, and she decided to undertake the task of installing Raspberry Pints on a Fedora partition on her PC's hard drive, rather than purchasing a Pi. From that point, the idea was to have a wireless stream of the content of Raspberry Pints through a Chrome-cast dongle, and display on a small monitor in the room that I keep my Kegerator. Everything was going well. She got the program installed, and everything seemed to be successful. I was able to add beers, kegs, taps, everything seemed to behave the way it was supposed to....however, when I click to display what I currently have on tap (The main screen that I would want next to my Kegerator) it never shows beer on tap. All I see is the black textured background, with the "Your Logo Here" image in the upper left-hand corner. Along with that, the "Powered by Raspberry Pints" image is not present. She has installed and re-installed several times, done hard refreshing, tried the Hot-Fixes, nothing seems to make any difference for my display either positive or negative. Any ideas to what could possibly be going on? Suggestions on what to possibly do or not do?

Thanks in advance, and I know it's been said several times over and over again, but thank you folks for such an awesome program. Really turns the page for us homebrewers. If you ever find yourselves in the SF bay area, I won't just buy you (A) beer, you're getting hammered on MY tab. Haha

We honestly have never tried installing this on Fedora, let along with those package presets.

I'm guessing you probably missed the step to enable short tags in your PHP installation.

But honestly, there's so many non-standard variables with your installation that we haven't test, I can't say for sure.

I understand. When I told her about this, she asked me to let her have a shot at this, so I of course said yes. Anyway, short tags are indeed enabled, she just checked. She's doing a little more troubleshooting right now to see if she finds any glaring errors. I understand this is a Non-standard install, but I will report what she finds.

(If all else fails, I have a Pi sitting on the shelf. Lol):mug:

No problems, man.

If she wants to dive really deep, she'd probably do well to run the PHP past a validator. I'm sure we have non-compliant tags littered throughout, but since we were developing for a select hardware/software combo, we decided to spend a minimum time doing validation as long as the code ran for us as intended.

Code:

The "--start-maximized" does not appear to work for me. I tried launching in app mode "--app=http://localhost" and it loads a larger screen but you still need to manually hit f11 to go full screen. This is my current solution for now...

This is great, thank you guys so much for putting this together. I have mine up and running and was wondering if there is a simple way to edit code to fit different people's setups (number of taps and monitor resolution). I for instance only have 5 taps and it would be great to have the table rows and header take up all the real estate without a big black box at the bottom of my screen. I've been tinkering with the style.css code a bit with some mixed results.

ALMOST got this up and running, but I've got a problem that I've not seen listed here on this thread. If it has been, forgive me. Anyway, SWMBO is a computer wizard, and she decided to undertake the task of installing Raspberry Pints on a Fedora partition on her PC's hard drive, rather than purchasing a Pi. From that point, the idea was to have a wireless stream of the content of Raspberry Pints through a Chrome-cast dongle, and display on a small monitor in the room that I keep my Kegerator. Everything was going well. She got the program installed, and everything seemed to be successful. I was able to add beers, kegs, taps, everything seemed to behave the way it was supposed to....however, when I click to display what I currently have on tap (The main screen that I would want next to my Kegerator) it never shows beer on tap. All I see is the black textured background, with the "Your Logo Here" image in the upper left-hand corner. Along with that, the "Powered by Raspberry Pints" image is not present. She has installed and re-installed several times, done hard refreshing, tried the Hot-Fixes, nothing seems to make any difference for my display either positive or negative. Any ideas to what could possibly be going on? Suggestions on what to possibly do or not do?

Thanks in advance, and I know it's been said several times over and over again, but thank you folks for such an awesome program. Really turns the page for us homebrewers. If you ever find yourselves in the SF bay area, I won't just buy you (A) beer, you're getting hammered on MY tab. Haha

It should work.
I'm running it on a CentOS server and it works ok there.
Have SWMBO check /var/log/apache or /var/log/httpd.
I'm running mine on lighttpd, so it certainly works in other environments.
Also, make sure she's checking the php.ini for the web server and not the CLI. She can try "locate php.ini" to find other versions.
She could also enable error logging in the php.ini and see if something shows up there.

I'll give you a headstart.

Code:
wget https://github.com/raspberrypints/raspberrypints/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip
sudo cp RaspberryPints-master/* /var/www/
sudo rm -R RaspberryPints-master

I did this and I get "CP: omitting directory 'RaspberryPints-master/admin'"
and so on.

Is this supposed to happen or did I miss something?

I did this and I get "CP: omitting directory 'RaspberryPints-master/admin'"
and so on.

Is this supposed to happen or did I miss something?

It should have been

Code:
sudo cp -r RaspberryPints-master/* /var/www/

I never checked back in after re-testing the chromium fullscreen mode. That didn't work after all. Kiosk mode works fine - F11 doesn't, but it's not a big deal to alt+f4 and re-open when\if I want to.

I did notice something else though. I added a suggestion to your site and it seems like it only shows the top 10 highest rated suggestions. Makes it hard to vote on other suggestions when you can't see them.
The joys of Wordpress - I know all too well! ;)

Back