[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone have any problems with the screen blanking? What my pi does however instead of turning off the screen it turns a pixelated white. Moving the mouse or hitting a key turns the screen back to the tap menu as if the screen was off. Any ideas at a fix?

Did anyone have any problems with the screen blanking? What my pi does however instead of turning off the screen it turns a pixelated white. Moving the mouse or hitting a key turns the screen back to the tap menu as if the screen was off. Any ideas at a fix?

Yes! Mine does that, too. I double checked the settings and made sure they matched the instructions and I get that on two different monitors. I thought it was the monitor at first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I have been working through the install of the noip client. I have it loaded on my Raspberry Pints. I am having trouble configuring it: Every time I run the make install command, it runs and I am prompted for my user name then my password.

It runs, then says I have "No hosts available for this user. Go to www.noip.com and create some"

When I go there and log in it shows I have *.brickhousetaplist.com

Am I not hosting this on my Pi? Right now everything works and it will do so until my ISP changes my IP address.

try out http://www.brickhousetaplist.com

So what am I missing here?

You are using your noip user and password, correct? Mine worked and showed my available host names.

I turned off the kiosk and "never off" modes but left the cursor-blanking, just run a full-screened Chromium window, and now when the Pi blanks the monitor it paints a black screen (the backlight is still on). It's solid black, though, no pixels showing at all. This is using an HDMI-DVI cable to a decade-old 1280x1024 LCD. It does support low-power blanking, just need to figure out how to get the Pi to use it...

Cheers!

Yes! Mine does that, too. I double checked the settings and made sure they matched the instructions and I get that on two different monitors. I thought it was the monitor at first.

Mine too! Glad I'm not the only one! It happens reliably, on all monitors after 10 minutes. I exchanged a few emails with Jeff about it. Here's what it looks like on mine:

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't experienced this on any of the monitor models I've tested:

Dell 30" 16:10 IPS U3014
Dell 24" 16:10 IPS U2414M
Dell 23" 16:9 IPS P2314H
LG 23" 16:9 TN W2361VG-PF
LG 22" 16:9 TN W2252TQ-TF

Lets first confirm that everything is setup according to the instructions. Namely:

Confirm that LXDE changes were made.

Ensure that x11 server utilities were installed:

Code:
dpkg --search x11-xserver-utils

Assuming those two items look good, lets try tweaking. Remember to save, reboot, and test after each change. That way we can pinpoint which setting worked, and can incorporate it into the instructions or FAQ.

It does support low-power blanking, just need to figure out how to get the Pi to use it...

That said, it's definitely something on the Pi itself. And I think it's going to require tweaking RPiconfig.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/boot/config.txt

Ensure you don't have this line uncommented:

Code:
sdtv_mode=2

Found this quote on the RPi Wiki:

"Also check that the RasPi +5V voltage (measured from TP1 to TP2) is in the correct range. One user found that his DVI-D monitor blanked out when +5V was too low. See Troubleshooting Power Problems."

So lets try boosting HDMI signal output:

Code:
config_hdmi_boost=4

Try forcing the hotplug signal, even if not supported in the CEC your monitor reports:

Code:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Last, we can try switching video modes.

Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Look up your resolution on the RPiconfig page.

If you're using a 1920x1080 max monitor, you probably set it up for hdmi_group=1 hdmi_mode=16.

You could try hdmi_group=2 hdmi_mode=82 (different group), or you could try hdmi_group=1 hdmi_mode=5 (interlaced).

Note that interlaced resolutions (e.g., 1080i) are fine for use on a static display such as these. They are not recommended for video applications.

There's no 60hz reduced blanking for 1080p, but for resultions that have them, feel free to try them out.

I had resolution issues with the hdmi_group/mode commands. I ended up commenting them so rpi ignored it and manually entered resolution further up the config file. works great now!

Somewhere along the line I managed to ding one of the local file systems such that I was seeing the "improperly dismounted" message flying by on the console. It didn't seem to be causing any issues but decided rather than mucking with it to just re-image the SD card from scratch.

I did everything the same as the first build, except this time through I didn't edit the /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart file.

Now the cursor blanks in a couple of seconds, and when the screen times out it properly goes into low-power mode. Very happy about that, as I intend to just run a full-screened Chromium window as it fits six tapped brews on a 1280x1024 screen quite nicely. And I'd rather have to peck the spacebar on the wee wireless keyboard to wake the screen than have it full power 24/7...

Cheers!

[edit] Well that was not true - the backlight is still on so the monitor is still awake. Not sure how I missed it earlier, I guess the ambient light was masking it.
I've spent quite some time since looking for a way to put the monitor into standby but I've yet to find a practical solution - applicable to Raspian and this desktop, anyway.

Thanks everybody this is a great project!!! Unbelievable support and a super finished product. Thank you all for volunteering your skills and time.

I look forward to the next roll out with the features you decide to move forward with!!!

I figured out something with the problem getting Chromium out of kiosk mode using F11. When I first boot up the Pi and it autoloads RaspberryPints, F11 doesn't do anything. I have to press alt+F4 to exit. When I start Chrome from the GUI, if I navigate to LocalHost manually, it loads RaspberryPints in a browser window. If I press F11 at that point, it puts Chrome in full screen mode. I can then use F11 to get in and out of full screen mode. So I'm guessing that there is something in the kiosk mode that doesn't allow the F11 key to work. Not really a problem at all for me, just a curiosity.

I figured out something with the problem getting Chromium out of kiosk mode using F11. When I first boot up the Pi and it autoloads RaspberryPints, F11 doesn't do anything. I have to press alt+F4 to exit. When I start Chrome from the GUI, if I navigate to LocalHost manually, it loads RaspberryPints in a browser window. If I press F11 at that point, it puts Chrome in full screen mode. I can then use F11 to get in and out of full screen mode. So I'm guessing that there is something in the kiosk mode that doesn't allow the F11 key to work. Not really a problem at all for me, just a curiosity.

From what I've seen, it's the same with Firefox's kiosk mode. The idea is to 'lock' the display into that view.

So today I "kicked" a keg, "tapped" one that was "conditioning", then "cleaned" the kicked keg. No big whoop, it worked just like you'd expect it to :D

With six kegs on tap and another five conditioned/conditioning I've been putting the recipes in the Notes for kegs that aren't tapped yet. Makes it easier to figure out what each keg is actually doing so when it's time to tap a new keg I know which is which.

Aaaaand now that I have the wee Pi doing its thing again I'm imaging the SD card. Recovery from a dumb-thumb moment will be a heck of a lot quicker in the future :eek:

Cheers!

Somewhere along the line I managed to ding one of the local file systems such that I was seeing the "improperly dismounted" message flying by on the console. It didn't seem to be causing any issues but decided rather than mucking with it to just re-image the SD card from scratch.

I did everything the same as the first build, except this time through I didn't edit the /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart file.

Now the cursor blanks in a couple of seconds, and when the screen times out it properly goes into low-power mode. Very happy about that, as I intend to just run a full-screened Chromium window as it fits six tapped brews on a 1280x1024 screen quite nicely. And I'd rather have to peck the spacebar on the wee wireless keyboard to wake the screen than have it full power 24/7...

Cheers!

[edit] Well that was not true - the backlight is still on so the monitor is still awake. Not sure how I missed it earlier, I guess the ambient light was masking it.
I've spent quite some time since looking for a way to put the monitor into standby but I've yet to find a practical solution - applicable to Raspian and this desktop, anyway.

Did a little searching and confirmed what I suspected all along:

The kernel driver for the Raspberry Pi's GPU does not support the function that X uses to put the monitor to sleep.

If you'd like to turn it off at a specific time, you can add a cron job to run tvservice -o, but that's beyond the scope of the support we provide.

Another item for my "Gee that would be cool list": support for one (or two) DS18B20 sensor(s) showing beer (and ambient) temperature(s) somewhere in the display.

[I won't add the "support for a cheap webcam to wake the display when someone comes into range" feature to the list quite yet ;) ]

Cheers!

If you're still having problems, I suggest posting a help thread on the official Raspberry Pi forums. They're better equipped to support their hardware than we are.

We don't doubt you have problems, we just aren't able to reproduce them, and as such, have a very limited amount of troubleshooting we can perform for you. :\

Good idea! I hope I didn't come off as whiny; I'm just new to the RPi world, so I don't know where to look for everything. Thanks for everything you do and for generally being awesome!

No worries. Not taking it as such.

Google didn't turn up a lot of results for the problem you're experiencing, so I think those experts are going to best direction to go.

I may have missed it (this is a long thread) but with the latest update I wrote out the steps I have taken to apply the latest software updates. If I am doing something wrong or there is an easier way please let me know.

There are a lot of steps here but they go fast.

This is a step by step of what I do to update/upgrade when notified of a new release:

1. From the RPi keyboard press CTRL+F4 to stop Chromium
2. Using the mouse click on the Web Browser icon at the bottom of the display
3. Enter https://github.com/RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints/releases in the address bar
4. Click on the Latest release link just above the Bold Releases Heading
5. Save the file to the default location (in my case /tmp/1.03.395.zip) by clicking on the OK button
6. Once file downloaded click the Done button
7. Click the File Manager icon at the bottom of the screen
8. Change the location to the directory holding the downloaded zip file (/tmp in this example)
9. Right click on the zip file and select Extract Here
10. After extraction another icon will show up that shows an open folder (vs the closed folder with the zip files in it). Double click on the open folder icon (be sure you are clicking in the new extracted folder and not the zip file).
11. A new window will open with a folder named whatever the latest update is ( in this case RaspberryPints 1.0.3.9395)
12. Double click on the folder and you should see all the files that were extracted
13. Click on the File Manager icon at the bottom of the screen to open another instance
14. Change the location in the new window to /var/www/
15. In the window with the new files in it, right click and drag to highlight all the files. Then drag all of the files to the window in the /var/www directory. You will get a warning box saying the is a file with the same name. Click on the Apply this option to all existing files and then select Overwrite.
When the files are moved to the new location they will disappear from the /tmp directory window so if everything went okay there should now be no files showing in that window
16. Go up one directory and delete the zip file and the now empty directory file
17. Close both instances in the File Manager

If you want to check for the latest updates and upgrades on the Raspberry Pi (not the RaspberryPints but the Raspberry Pi software) then do the following:
Double click on the LX Terminal
Enter sudo apt-get update (this could take a while)
Once you are back to the pi@raspberrypi showing in green then type sudo apt-get upgrade
You will probably have to answer Yes to the message about using more memory (this could take a while so you need to be patient)
Once you are back to the green pi@raspberrypi then click on the icon at the bottom of the screen that looks like a funny shaped arrow, then select Logout, Then select Reboot.

The system will reboot and if everything went okay you should be back to the RaspberryPints system showing your taps.

If there's an easier way then let me know and I will edit this post.

I threw out a suggestion on the "Suggest a Feature" page, and it's not there ("Activity Log"). Just curious if it's in a moderation queue or if you guys are pruning that list? (It was a pie in the sky idea, wouldn't fault you for removing it :))

I threw out a suggestion on the "Suggest a Feature" page, and it's not there ("Activity Log"). Just curious if it's in a moderation queue or if you guys are pruning that list? (It was a pie in the sky idea, wouldn't fault you for removing it :))

We've been keeping an eye on them. Honestly, a lot of the requested features are things we've been thinking about anyways. Most of them will either be implemented by or made easy to implement by the V2 data/workflow changes. I don't want to go into specifics now, but I'm pretty excited about it.

I threw out a suggestion on the "Suggest a Feature" page, and it's not there ("Activity Log").

To an extent, this is built into the way we're structuring the data. Each 'pour' will create a row in the database that will have all the info on that pour. With that data available, it's becomes a matter of analyzing it to find the fun statistics. As we're designing it, there won't be a way to track the specifics about when a keg status was changed or when it was kicked, but I don't expect that the feature would be hard to implement.

Awesome, sounds exciting. I've been lurking on Github, sounds like some cool changes coming in V2.

Are you guys interested in more developers? Not sure what the best way to get involved is (or if I can spare the time), but I was a PHP developer in a previous life and hacked Raspberry Pints onto my shared server environment, so I might be interested in pitching in a little if you are looking for help.

Awesome, sounds exciting. I've been lurking on Github, sounds like some cool changes coming in V2.

Are you guys interested in more developers? Not sure what the best way to get involved is (or if I can spare the time), but I was a PHP developer in a previous life and hacked Raspberry Pints onto my shared server environment, so I might be interested in pitching in a little if you are looking for help.

Hells yes. I think we're going to try to make use of the github model of fork/pull-requests for devs who want to contribute. I would recommend waiting for a bit, as soon the code is probably going to be changing pretty substantially. After those are in place, we should have a solid base for additions.

To answer the question directly...

No, we haven't moderated or deleted any of the ideas AFAIK. There's also no queue that they go through to be approved before they display on the website. I figure we can let the community sort the wheat from the chaff.

We'll have to combine duplicates eventually, but that hasn't had to happen yet.

I may have missed it (this is a long thread) but with the latest update I wrote out the steps I have taken to apply the latest software updates. If I am doing something wrong or there is an easier way please let me know.

There are a lot of steps here but they go fast.

This is a step by step of what I do to update/upgrade when notified of a new release:

1. From the RPi keyboard press CTRL+F4 to stop Chromium
2. Using the mouse click on the Web Browser icon at the bottom of the display
3. Enter https://github.com/RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints/releases in the address bar
4. Click on the Latest release link just above the Bold Releases Heading
5. Save the file to the default location (in my case /tmp/1.03.395.zip) by clicking on the OK button
6. Once file downloaded click the Done button
7. Click the File Manager icon at the bottom of the screen
8. Change the location to the directory holding the downloaded zip file (/tmp in this example)
9. Right click on the zip file and select Extract Here
10. After extraction another icon will show up that shows an open folder (vs the closed folder with the zip files in it). Double click on the open folder icon (be sure you are clicking in the new extracted folder and not the zip file).
11. A new window will open with a folder named whatever the latest update is ( in this case RaspberryPints 1.0.3.9395)
12. Double click on the folder and you should see all the files that were extracted
13. Click on the File Manager icon at the bottom of the screen to open another instance
14. Change the location in the new window to /var/www/
15. In the window with the new files in it, right click and drag to highlight all the files. Then drag all of the files to the window in the /var/www directory. You will get a warning box saying the is a file with the same name. Click on the Apply this option to all existing files and then select Overwrite.
When the files are moved to the new location they will disappear from the /tmp directory window so if everything went okay there should now be no files showing in that window
16. Go up one directory and delete the zip file and the now empty directory file
17. Close both instances in the File Manager

If you want to check for the latest updates and upgrades on the Raspberry Pi (not the RaspberryPints but the Raspberry Pi software) then do the following:
Double click on the LX Terminal
Enter sudo apt-get update (this could take a while)
Once you are back to the pi@raspberrypi showing in green then type sudo apt-get upgrade
You will probably have to answer Yes to the message about using more memory (this could take a while so you need to be patient)
Once you are back to the green pi@raspberrypi then click on the icon at the bottom of the screen that looks like a funny shaped arrow, then select Logout, Then select Reboot.

The system will reboot and if everything went okay you should be back to the RaspberryPints system showing your taps.

If there's an easier way then let me know and I will edit this post.

That's one way to do it. Personally, I just wget the archive then run unzip on it, and finally move the files to /var/www. But your way works too.

I know nothing about Linux but I will check on wget since your way looks much simpler. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'll give you a headstart.

Code:
wget https://github.com/raspberrypints/raspberrypints/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip
sudo cp RaspberryPints-master/* /var/www/
sudo rm -R RaspberryPints-master

I'll give you a headstart.

Code:
wget https://github.com/raspberrypints/raspberrypints/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip
sudo cp RaspberryPints-master/* /var/www/
sudo rm -R RaspberryPints-master

Yep. That's the way to do it. Quick, easy & painless. :) Just remember to type it EXACTLY as above. :)

That should be at the end of the install instructions on a "How to Update" page. I do something similar but I use WinSCP, same exact process just do it from my computer since I dont actively have my pi connected to a monitor. But would be helpful to have that at the end of the install guide

I was able to do it as I have some experience in this stuff and mess around a little already. But since the first update was released there was a bunch of questions from people on how to update and instead of having people needing to search through here for one of the responses it would be nice to have a quick page with those 4 commands so it is a no brainer on how to update, and if I remember correctly the initial directions didnt use the wget command to download the file, it just said to go there with a web browser.

Maybe not a directions page, but put it as a question in the FAQ, just thinking for the average user I could see it being confusing and they are just typing what they are told and dont know what all the commands in the setup actually do. So might not put 2 and 2 together.

^^ you're describing me and you're absolutely correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That should be at the end of the install instructions on a "How to Update" page. I do something similar but I use WinSCP, same exact process just do it from my computer since I dont actively have my pi connected to a monitor. But would be helpful to have that at the end of the install guide

Are you able to simply over-write the installation in place via WinSCP? While I can copy over unique files, I've tried to replace various files on the RPi using WinSCP but constantly run into permission problems. I'm using what I'm pretty sure is the root account and password. Haven't actually tried refreshing the RaspberryPints files yet...

Cheers!

Are you able to simply over-write the installation in place via WinSCP? While I can copy over unique files, I've tried to replace various files on the RPi using WinSCP but constantly run into permission problems. I'm using what I'm pretty sure is the root account and password. Haven't actually tried refreshing the RaspberryPints files yet...

Cheers!

I gave the entire www folder 0777 permissions like it said in the install, but also checked the box to apply it to all sub folders as well. The only thing I get messages about not being able to is the logo (which I have my own and havent reapplied the permissions to) and Im ok with that cause I dont want to replace that. Havent backed up my database yet (as I only have a couple beers and 2 taps so not worried about reinputting yet) and have had no problems.

i have a question. i would like to change the taps - my kegerator only has 2 taps so i would like to change it from numbers 1 & 2 to tap location and left and right. how and where would i make those modifications? i assume to the tap_form.php and the tap_list.php under /var/www/admin and change something in index.php under /var/www

thanks. im not very good with programming :(

Latest posts

Back