[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAha, no worries, i misled you, then you misled me and we were both wrong/right.

Well it works perfectly, so that's all that matters. It's a great addition to the basic rPints system. I'm debating adding the day_trippr sound effect option now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

...the whole "monitor never really sleeps" issue. It has become my Great White Whale, dammit...

Have you tried 'tricking' the monitor into thinking that there is no signal? Is that possible?

First, thanks for the chuckles as the whole PIR thing rapidly evolved from frowny face to smiley face. I like happy endings ;)

Over the last five months I've kept going back to the "monitor really never sleeps" issue with the 'Pi. I've verified that it doesn't matter if you use a DVI or HDMI monitor, there is always a sync signal being sent, which keeps the monitor "awake".

I find hopeful threads in various venues that eventually collapse without a favorable resolution. The latest twist was hooking up with someone who thought he had a work-around, but my first experiments with his solution didn't pan out. Still waiting for his feedback.

The xscreensaver configuration menu shows lots of power management switches for the display. You can play with all of them to your heart's content but none of them actually turn off an LCD backlight.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is an intrinsic deficit with the low level video driver not having any real understanding of how to put a monitor into a low power state, but I'm still gaming it when I get the time.

As for the sound-on-screen-wake-up thing: this'll sound weird, but I find myself verbally responding to the keezer "greeting" ;)

Cheers!

Well I'm glad you can laugh at my stupidity. I'd hate to see no good come of my ignorance. But THANKS for the motion sensor!!!

Have you tried 'tricking' the monitor into thinking that there is no signal? Is that possible?

Sorry, 1st post, not sure if anyone already thought using HDMI-CEC. At least for a subset of displays - TVs with CEC support - it's possible with the RPi.

First we need to install libCEC from PulseEight, here is what I did (but there might be easier ways these days)

Code:
 # sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf liblockdev1-dev libudev-dev git libtool pkg-config
 # sudo git clone git://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec.git
 # cd libcec
 # sudo ./bootstrap
 # sudo ./configure --with-rpi-include-path=/opt/vc/include --with-rpi-lib-path=/opt/vc/lib --enable-rpi
 # sudo make
 # sudo make install
 # sudo ldconfig

at this point, libcec along with cec-client should be installed and ready to go.

Now, enable CEC on your HDMI display/TV (sometimes called AnyNet+, EZ-Sync and all sorts of other branded names), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC.

Test with:
Code:
 # cec-client -l

Now you can turn your TV off via
Code:
 # echo “standby 0” | cec-client -s

and turn it back on via
Code:
 # echo "on 0" | cec-client -s

Of course the last one only works if the RPi isn't plugged into the TV's USB as power supply :)

-Th

anyone already thought using HDMI-CEC

That looks promising. I checked the menu on my Asus monitor and only found a "Eco Mode" or whatever they called it. It's late lol

Well I installed the libcec library and I can definitely power on/off an HDMI tv.
But it takes awhile for the tv to power up, and it defaults to the OTA tuner instead of the HDMI port the 'Pi is plugged into, requiring user intervention to change inputs.

Also I want to keep using my old DVI-only 19" LCD display. But while the HDMI sideband I2C bus is hooked to the corresponding DVI port I2C pins via a passive conversion cable, I doubt DVI devices know anything about CEC.

So it was worth a try, but the search for a practical solution continues.

I did have a flash about building an adapter that would insert a pair of fet switches in the TMDS clock pair and control the switches from a 'Pi GPIO pin, using xscreensaver-command to watch xscreensaver state changes and toggle the GPIO on and off accordingly. No clock = monitor goes into standby. If all else fails that's a potential solution...

Cheers!

Just a thought, I am in no way a coding anything but found this.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=47550
by broo0ose » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:14 pm
These are my notes on what I did for one project...

Make sure the Pi is set to the correct timezone using the raspi-config utility.

sudo raspi-config

eg. Europe/London

cron is the service that runs jobs at various times.
tvservice controls the HDMI

crontab -e
allows you to modify the cron table.

# m h dom mon dow command

# power saving
0 17 * * * tvservice -o
0 8 * * 1-5 /home/pi/screen_on.sh

this will run tvservice -o at 17:00 every day turning the screen off,
and run a screen_on.sh script at 08:00 every weekday morning.

contents of screen_on.sh

#!/bin/sh
tvservice --preferred > /dev/null
fbset -depth 8; fbset -depth 16; xrefresh

Looks like they are using a "tvservice -o" command to turn off the signal from the HDMI which will tell the monitor to go in sleep mode.

by broo0ose » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:54 pm
'tvservice -o' puts the monitor into sleep mode, the LED on the screen goes from green to orange, there's no glow.

Maybe one of you can make sense out of the code and work with that to make something work.

Well I installed the libcec library and I can definitely power on/off an HDMI tv.
But it takes awhile for the tv to power up, and it defaults to the OTA tuner instead of the HDMI port the 'Pi is plugged into, requiring user intervention to change inputs.
You using a Vizio TV by chance? Seems like 1/2 of the Vizio world is waiting for them to finally fix that bug in their firmware. I believe you can 'rig' that by sending a well-timed command via CEC to change the input.

Also, I read somewhere that long start times on a Vizio can be cured by removing all those useless 'apps' that the TV comes with.

I got a older Sharp which turns on pretty much instant (and it keeps the same input it had when turned off).

Also I want to keep using my old DVI-only 19" LCD display. But while the HDMI sideband I2C bus is hooked to the corresponding DVI port I2C pins via a passive conversion cable, I doubt DVI devices know anything about CEC.
No, there is no such thing as CEC for DVI (there is no audio thru DVI either)...

I did have a flash about building an adapter that would insert a pair of fet switches in the TMDS clock pair and control the switches from a 'Pi GPIO pin, using xscreensaver-command to watch xscreensaver state changes and toggle the GPIO on and off accordingly. No clock = monitor goes into standby. If all else fails that's a potential solution...
My DVI Samsung monitors display some ugly screen saver that reads "No Input" if the clock/sync is missing...

Cheers,
-Th

My development 'Pi is current hooked to a low-end 32" Insignia hdtv of quite recent vintage, and it's totally unencumbered by the intelligence to run "apps". If its source input is switched to an unconnected port it reports same and then shuts off the backlight. That would be acceptable behavior, if an hdtv was my intended 'Pints display.

I've been digging around and playing with various cec-client commands and can switch the tv on and off, and change tv input sources - as long as the source is active. So I can invoke "standby" to power off the display, then wake it with "on", then switch the input source to the 'Pi's hdmi input. The turn-on time still takes forever though, so this isn't a viable solution.

I thought of simply switching to an unused port to "sleep" the display then switching back to the 'Pi's hdmi input, but I haven't figured out show to have the 'Pi cause the tv to switch to an unconnected hdmi port. I just downloaded the HDMI spec v1.4 which has all of the CEC stuff documented, and have been learning the EDID format and commands. Maybe I'll find a way to work with the tv.

But that's all just for science (!) as I still want a DVI solution.

My DVI Samsung monitors display some ugly screen saver that reads "No Input" if the clock/sync is missing

The Viewsonic running on my keezer's 'Pi does that - then shuts off the backlight and goes into a low power state. Perfect response, I just need a way to get there ;)

Looks like they are using a "tvservice -o" command to turn off the signal from the HDMI which will tell the monitor to go in sleep mode.

Yeah, I've spent countless hours following tvservice threads with no joy. I can turn the HDMI port off using tvservice, and my DVI display does indeed go into its lower power state. Interestingly, the hdtv I'm using on my dev 'Pi goes into its screen-saver "No Signal" thing and keeps the backlight alive. Stupid thing. But when I turn the HDMI port back on, the DVI monitor wakes up with the backlight on, but the 'Pi's desktop never appears. Same results with the HDTV. I have to ssh into the wee beastie to reboot it to get the desktop back...

Cheers!

My development 'Pi is current hooked to a low-end 32" Insignia hdtv of quite recent vintage, and it's totally unencumbered by the intelligence to run "apps". If its source input is switched to an unconnected port it reports same and then shuts off the backlight. That would be acceptable behavior, if an hdtv was my intended 'Pints display.

I've been digging around and playing with various cec-client commands and can switch the tv on and off, and change tv input sources - as long as the source is active. So I can invoke "standby" to power off the display, then wake it with "on", then switch the input source to the 'Pi's hdmi input. The turn-on time still takes forever though, so this isn't a viable solution.

I thought of simply switching to an unused port to "sleep" the display then switching back to the 'Pi's hdmi input, but I haven't figured out show to have the 'Pi cause the tv to switch to an unconnected hdmi port. I just downloaded the HDMI spec v1.4 which has all of the CEC stuff documented, and have been learning the EDID format and commands. Maybe I'll find a way to work with the tv.

The Viewsonic running on my keezer's 'Pi does that - then shuts off the backlight and goes into a low power state. Perfect response, I just need a way to get there ;)

Yeah, I've spent countless hours following tvservice threads with no joy. I can turn the HDMI port off using tvservice, and my DVI display does indeed go into its lower power state. Interestingly, the hdtv I'm using on my dev 'Pi goes into its screen-saver "No Signal" thing and keeps the backlight alive. Stupid thing. But when I turn the HDMI port back on, the DVI monitor wakes up with the backlight on, but the 'Pi's desktop never appears. Same results with the HDTV. I have to ssh into the wee beastie to reboot it to get the desktop back...

Cheers!

tvservice -o works perfectly for me. The only problem is I didn't know how to get it back on without rebooting. Any help?

Edit: It appears that tvservice -p should do it, but all it does is turn on my backlight; no picture.

tvservice -o works perfectly for me. The only problem is I didn't know how to get it back on without rebooting. Any help?

Edit: It appears that tvservice -p should do it, but all it does is turn on my backlight; no picture.

And with that you're now at the beginning of the journey I started months ago ;)

As I wrote right above your post, to get out of that same situation (without blowing up an SD card partition) I used Putty to ssh in and used root privs to do a shutdown -r now...

Cheers!

And with that you're now at the beginning of the journey I started months ago ;)

As I wrote right above your post, to get out of that same situation (without blowing up an SD card partition) I used Putty to ssh in and used root privs to do a shutdown -r now...

Cheers!

Lol; I know nothing about any of this. But I just typed sudo reboot even through there was nothing on the screen.

Something that worked was typing the following into the blank screen (cuz the terminal window was open, even though I couldn't see it)

tvservice -p
fbset -depth 8
fbset -depth 16

And then the screen would come back on. So I wrote that into a file but for some reason it only liked it when I typed the commands into the terminal screen

Cheers!

well poo.

Can someone help me, please? I just finished step 5 of the install instructions and after my reboot, I am taken to a white screen that says:

It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

I'm stuck on this screen, I can't find a way to get back to the homepage. HELP! I'm so close!

Can someone help me, please? I just finished step 5 of the install instructions and after my reboot, I am taken to a white screen that says:

It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

I'm stuck on this screen, I can't find a way to get back to the homepage. HELP! I'm so close!

You're in luck! It's a simple solution to a problem that several people have had...

Delete /var/www/index.html and you'll be good to go.

You're in luck! It's a simple solution to problem that several people have had...

Delete /var/www/index.html and you'll be good to go.

Thanks. Where do I type that? I can't get off the white page.

Just exit the browser and click on what would be the windows start button in the corner. Then click on programming or something to open the directory and I think you'll find it in the home folder. If not, just look around a little.

Basically, the pi is loading that screen instead of your taplist. Once it's removed, it'll load your taplist instead. That's how I understand it anyway

...or open a terminal and type:

sudo rm /var/www/index.html

Just exit the browser and click on what would be the windows start button in the corner. Then click on programming or something to open the directory and I think you'll find it in the home folder. If not, just look around a little.

Basically, the pi is loading that screen instead of your taplist. Once it's removed, it'll load your taplist instead. That's how I understand it anyway

I can't exit the browser. There are no buttons for me to exit. Not sure if my resolution is messed up or something (my icons looked pretty large on the homepage) but I stuck!

Are you in kiosk mode? Hit function 11, F12, FWhatever until the Manu bar across the bottom shows up and then right click to close programs. Be creative in order to get to the desktop so you can open a terminal and type sudo rm /var/www/index.html

Or reboot and type that in before startx

Ok, i finally got off the white screen. My monitor resolution is off, I need to go back and fix that. I spent about 5 hours on it tonight, i'll finish tomorrow. Man, I'm almost there!

Thanks for your help, DanH.

Ok, i finally got off the white screen. My monitor resolution is off, I need to go back and fix that. I spent about 5 hours on it tonight, i'll finish tomorrow. Man, I'm almost there!

Thanks for your help, DanH.

Dammit! You're so close! I was committed to get it working by the end of the night.

But you're very welcome and there will be plenty of help tomorrow if you need it.

Dammit! You're so close! I was committed to get it working by the end of the night.

But you're very welcome and there will be plenty of help tomorrow if you need it.

Yeah, it was something I was knocking out while watching the NFL draft. I'm off work tomorrow and it will be working...oh yes, it will!

One more for me. After bringing up the initial setup page on Step 7, filled out all the fields, hit Setup and got success on validating entries, checking db connectivity, checking config folder permissions, update config files, update admin config files, and creating rpints database user. I got an error in query on running database script

I'm getting this same error. What did you do to fix it? I haven't touched anything since it says to be patient while it does it's thing.

Ok, I'm back at it. I got all the way through step 7, I got an error in query on running database script.

So I went back and did a sudo reboot and now I have a chromium error, No Data Received (Error 324)

Ok, I'm back at it. I got all the way through step 7, I got an error in query on running database script.

So I went back and did a sudo reboot and now I have a chromium error, No Data Received (Error 324)

That ones gonna have to wait for someone smarter than me... I'm sorry, but the good news is people seem to chime in to help fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

That ones gonna have to wait for someone smarter than me... I'm sorry, but the good news is people seem to chime in to help fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

I think I fixed it. I may have an error but I reloaded it (Warning: unlink(../../index.html): No such file or directory in /var/www/install/includes/configprocessor.php on line 212) and I'm onto the part that says:

Congratulations! Your Raspberry Pints has been setup successfully.
Click for - Tap List
Click for - Administration

I think I fixed it. I may have an error but I reloaded it (Warning: unlink(../../index.html): No such file or directory in /var/www/install/includes/configprocessor.php on line 212) and I'm onto the part that says:

Congratulations! Your Raspberry Pints has been setup successfully.

Click for - Tap List

Click for - Administration

Weird. That's beyond me. Does it display your taplist?

Just finished mine. Well it was more of a trial run to see if I could figure it out since we're moving and the keezer is broke but will be used in about a month when we get the house. Hoping for a new freezer and computer monitor for house warming presents :ban:

Glad to see there's still a good amount of community involvement here. :)

I've been off working on a couple summer projects, trying to knock them out before it gets ungodly hot here (expecting 90-100ºF every day for 100 straight).

So far finished a backyard garden and repaired crash damage to my truck.

Double brew day today so I can bring 4 kegs to a party in two weeks. Yeah, I'll be pushing the limits on this one...

Hope to get back to this soon!

I'm getting this same error. What did you do to fix it? I haven't touched anything since it says to be patient while it does it's thing.

Looks like you got it taken care of. What I had to do was this

go to localhost/install/index.php
select "Clear Data" from the drop down and enter the DB root password
After that all was good.

Cause of the problem was that I was impatient and didnt follow directions.

Finished mine up over the weekend. Here's a shot. Anyone know a way of filling in the unused space? Did I miss something on install? Anyway here she is. Waiting on my wall mount adapter to come for a cleaner look.

image.jpg

Anyone else have any problems with the Edimax wireless adapter? It worked at first and then it stopped working. I had to run my ethernet to do any updates and finish the installation.

Latest posts

Back