Inherited A Kegerator: Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brinson44

Reaction score
I just got my first kegerator and I have a few questions:

1. The kegerator hasn’t been used in about 6 years. It still had a keg in it and beer in the line. Can that line in the photo be cleaned? What about the coupler?

2. I want to get some corny kegs, but should I hang on the coupler? It’s used for sankey kegs, right? Are those better options for home brewing since I already have a coupler?

3. The former owner made me take the keg, an old 1/2 barrel keg still half full of 6-year old Bud Light. I’m 99% it’s illegal, but is it possible to reuse that keg for home brewing? Or should I just not even mess with it and take it back to where they got it from?

4. The unit is an old Kenmore 56491509990 kegerator. Anyone know if it’s possible to hook up an inkbird to it and use it as a fermentation chamber when I’m not drinking from it?

I don’t really know what I’m talking about or what I’m dealing with, but I really want to move away from bottling and put this kegerator to good use.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_1790.JPG

1. Ugh. Please replace that line. It's likely too short anyway - you'll want around 10-11 feet of 3/16" ID beer line if you serve at "normal" temperature and pressure.

2. Hang onto the coupler. You might consider obtaining sanke sixtel kegs instead of cornelius kegs and put that coupler to work.

3. Do whatever.

4. Sure. Should work just fine.

Cheers!

Back