Info Request: Alc. mixing and blowing chunks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torilen

Reaction score
So, it is kind of a common thing that if you mix alcohol when you drink, you might end up losing to the porcelain throne later...you know, wine, beer, and liquor all together.

Is this because of the liquid itself...fruit base combining with a grain base, etc. Or does it have to do with they yeasts used in fermenting?

I ask since, now that I am homebrewing...while I have only used champagne yeast so far, I may venture into beer brewing and will use ale yeast or something similar. Would it be wise to drink something from these two different yeasts? Or would it be the same situation?

Maybe this belongs in the "Confessions" thread, but I have never once, in my entire life, thrown up from drinking. Not in high school, college, my 20's... never. I've come close a few times, and there have been many times I probably should have, and would have felt better the next morning, but I really detest the feeling of puking, and for whatever reason, I have a strong enough stomach that I can hold it down.

the reason this happens is because of a few different reasons... it's not the alcohol, it's all ethyl alcohol anyways.
It's usually due to (as said by @ifnotuthenwho ) drinking too much via mixing, or even if you're having something fruity, etc, your stomach not agreeing with 3-4 beers and a fruity mixed drink... or if you're at a bar, heavy pouring, which goes back to reason #1.
I usually prefer one over the other due to my hands wanting me to drink too quick when having beer, or slowly when having mixed drinks / on the rocks.
Unless i'm ending the night with a glass of whiskey or something... which isn't uncommon, but thats usually before bed anyways :)

It's because of a phenomenon I call "Drinking Momentum" The theory being as you drink it becomes easier to drink faster, thus creating a snowball effect leading to getting really drunk. This especially applies when you start with beer, but then run out and switch to mixed drinks or hard liquor. You'll drink these as fast as the beer and then you're well on your way to a bad morning.

Drink a beer, then a glass of wine, then a shot of tequila or a margarita. You'll be fine.

Drink 6 beers, then a bottle of wine, then 6 shots of tequila. You'll be spewing.

It's quantity, not the mixing.

My old Scottish boss used to say, "never mix the barley and the grape."

But then again, he wasn't big on wine. (He was big on barley, though!)

Before I have a pint a couple of fingers of bourbon just barely cover the top of the cubes, after a couple of pints I'll be damned if a couple fingers of bourbon barely fit in the same glass!

I figure the beer makes everything bigger, so I have a couple more pints and cross my fingers.

So, probably the quantity. I could see that, I suppose. It's only I've only spewed twice from drinking, but both times it was when I had mixed stuff. Granted, looking back on it, I did drink quite a bit both of those times.

hehehe. (sheepish)

I used to get severely throw up drunk once every 2-3 years. When slumped over the toilet with the dry-heaves I'd say "this is the last time"....Finally about 10 years ago, I quit drinking hard liquor shots. I do occasionally have a gin and tonic but usually only one. I still drink my share of beer, cider and wine , but haven't blown chunks since I went cold turkey on the shots. My theory is that beer fills me up before I get throw up drunk. My homemade cider comes is about beer strength so that is the same, I usually can't stand to drink more than 2 glasses of wine at a sitting. I also stay away from high alcohol beers like Imperial stout or barleywine.
Confession: I am deathly afraid of getting a DUI, hurting someone if driving drunk and hate hangovers, so overall I don't really get drunk anymore, even though I actually drink quite a bit.

Maybe this belongs in the "Confessions" thread, but I have never once, in my entire life, thrown up from drinking. Not in high school, college, my 20's... never. I've come close a few times, and there have been many times I probably should have, and would have felt better the next morning, but I really detest the feeling of puking, and for whatever reason, I have a strong enough stomach that I can hold it down.

Hats off sir...

I haven't puked much while drinking, but I remember everytime. Hot wings, vodka, etc....

ewww

I never could mix anything with wine, beer okay, wine no way for me. Yeah, and copious amounts of anything gets a ride on the porcelain bus too.

My opinion is that it's simply a matter of too much alcohol. Doesn't matter if it's beer, tequila, whiskey, or wine. Too much regardless of combination can make you sick.

And there ain't nothing worse than having the dry heaves so bad you expect to see your shoes come out of your mouth...

Back