Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosmur

Reaction score
I have made a batch of porter, and am slightly concerned it might be infected. I have never had a batch get infected before, but make mainly lighter coloured beers. Fermentation is complete, 99% of the yeast has fallen down, there are a few floaters, but they look quite gloppy. There is also a scum on the top of the beer. The smell, and taste, are fine.

Do you know immediately from an off smell , or a bad taste, if your beer is infected?

I have made a batch of porter, and am slightly concerned it might be infected. I have never had a batch get infected before, but make mainly lighter coloured beers. Fermentation is complete, 99% of the yeast has fallen down, there are a few floaters, but they look quite gloppy. There is also a scum on the top of the beer. The smell, and taste, are fine.

Do you know immediately from an off smell , or a bad taste, if your beer is infected?

What sort of "scum"? Can you send us a picture? Generally speaking, if you had an infection, it would be pretty obvious pretty quick as the beer would taste pretty nasty.

I think I know what you are taking about and it is fine. That should fall out after a week or so. It happens on beers I have to open usually and expose to oxygen to add a blow off. A picture would help tremendously though

All sorted, thanks very much. I saw an old post on this site suggesting i just rack off the beer. it is a really nice brew, no off tastes and it has started carbonating quite well too. i think it was lipid scum on the top as i used some coffee beans and toasted coconut in the boil, so the oils would have caused this i think.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back