Infection???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonVogt

Reaction score
I have had my last two dry hopped beery with this white stuff appear on top and saw it right before bottling. Is this an infection? I have been very busy and have had both of them sit in primary for 4 - 6 weeks and 2 weeks in secondary for lack of free time to flip them. The first one with this look was a Citra only IPA extract. It had one of the lowest gravity drops I have seen. 1.052 to 1.010. I used amylase. Along with that and the long time in fermentation was my guess for the complete fermentation. The one pictured is a all grain rye IPA. The fermentation was quite complete (1.054 to 1.012) During bottling my sample on both was quite thin and lacked body. These last two make me suspect a wild yeast with a more complete fermentation. I can't taste much of the infection in the Citra if there is one. Is it likely the hops fought it off? Has anyone else had this, or more importantly solved it and found a likely cause. I store my hops in the freezer. Thanks for any advice.

Hops.jpg

That is mold. Now, that's not necicerraly a bad thing. If it still tastes good, I say drink it. You may get sick (like an upset stomach at most) but then ya just have to pitch it

It looks like the starts of a pellicle. I'm not sure what it is- probably pediococcus or lactobacillus, but definitely an infection.

I think the big headspace in a bucket once fermentation ends is a huge risk of allowing oxygen in the fermenter. If you're going to use a "secondary" vessel, I'd suggest a carboy.

It looks like the starts of a pellicle. I'm not sure what it is- probably pediococcus or lactobacillus, but definitely an infection.

I think the big headspace in a bucket once fermentation ends is a huge risk of allowing oxygen in the fermenter. If you're going to use a "secondary" vessel, I'd suggest a carboy.

All true. It's best to just leave in the first vessel. Cons far outweigh the pros (are there any?) of "secondary" fermenting

Thanks for the advice. Off to the store for another glass carboy and tossing the bucket. After three years, it is time for retirement. Thanks for the reminder on headspace, gear on a budget can easily get me into bad habits I can't remember why I started.

Back