Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovesIPA

Reaction score
I guess everyone has to post one of these sooner or later.

This is a Chinook IPA that I dry-hopped a week ago. I stitched a paint strainer bag together, boiled it and an extra stainless fitting for 15 mins, put the hops in the bag and sealed it back up.

I was about to keg it and I didn't care for the look of the white film on some of the bubbles. I'm wondering if people think it's infected.

IMG_1586[1].jpg

Look at the small bubble near the center of the pic. It's white & slimy looking. A couple others look the same when you branch out your line of sight. That's a lacto infection starting. also,the white film has the characteristic grainy look to it from what I've experienced. Something likely didn't get cleaned well before sanitizing.

Look at the small bubble near the center of the pic. It's white & slimy looking. A couple others look the same when you branch out your line of sight. That's a lacto infection starting. also,the white film has the characteristic grainy look to it from what I've experienced. Something likely didn't get cleaned well before sanitizing.

Good eye.

I thought it was a lacto infection as well when I looked at it last night. I kegged it anyway on the advice here. When I take a FG sample, I usually collect some of the trub in a measuring cup and let it settle in the fridge overnight. I just tasted it this morning and it didn't taste right at all.

This is the second batch that got ruined because of infection when dry-hopping. I have to find a different way to do this.

And I was hoping this was going to be my first good batch of beer. :(

Check everything that touches the beer post boil. gotta be something simple. Remove any spigots & clean/sanitize seperately. Re-install wet with sanitizer.
Make sure all parts are properly cleaned before sanitizing,else you're just sanitizing dirt that can come back later to cause problems.

The fermenter was thoroughly cleaned and sanitized on brew day. I rack right onto the foam. The beer looked fine when I opened the bucket to dry-hop it. I boiled the bag, sanitized my hands, and did everything very carefully. I don't know what I could have done differently or better.

Very annoying, especially with all the other problems I've been having lately.

Back