Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwashko

Reaction score
I recently brewed a chili lime saison. I used the juice and zest from 5 limes in a 5 gallon batch. When I tasted the wort prior to fermentation there was no lime flavor at all. I used Wyeast 3711: french saison and fermented hot (71F). OG was 1.043 which was dead on what my software told me to expect. After fermentation completed, the temperature in my apartment rose to over 90F during an unexpected heat wave.

Today, I went to bottle my brew and I tasted the sample I was about to put my hydrometer in. lo and behold, it's pretty sour. It's not unpleasant, in fact it's exactly the flavor I wanted from the limes, but it is very distinctly sour when the wort had no lime flavor at all. Then, when I took my FG reading it came out extremely low. My software told me to expect 1.011 and the actual reading was 1.002 (I didn't even know this was possible). I know with the temperature getting so high in my primary I should expect high attenuation, but can a low FG be a sign of bacterial infection? Also, I've never tasted a contaminated beer, would it have a more undesirable flavor, or would a lime taste be possible? I really appreciate any input!

3711 can easily take 1.043 to 1.002 ... especially at those temperatures. Combine the low PH of beer with that low of a FG, I could see how the beer could be perceived as sour. Unless the beer has a strong lactic sourness (think yogurt) or acetic sourness (think vinegar) then you are probably okay.

Back