Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inodoro_Pereyra

Reaction score
So...I'm not sure if this should be in the sanitation forum, but since I am a beginner...

I have a bunch of campden tablets from my winemaking days. Would adding a campden tablet to an infected wort "kill" the infection?
I'm aware it'd probably kill the yeast too, but if I can save the batch, I can re-pitch later...

100% sure. It smells very acid, and has all the typical signs of an infection ("skin" on top, with whitish "hairy" spots...)

Either way, I'm not interested in saving this batch, as it's been infected for 3 days already. I just want to know if campden tablets would be a viable solution, should I get that problem again in the future.

Hmmm...let me rephrase my question, so we don't get all hung up on something that doesn't matter.

IF I WERE to have an infection in a batch, would the addition of a crushed campden tablet stop that HYPOTHETICAL infection, before it causes more damage?

But, to answer that last question, I opened the fermenter, and poured the wort into my hydrometer glass, to take a reading.

Did you pour the wort back into the fermenter afterwards? I've never heard of a batch becoming infected by simply opening up the fermenter.

A campden tablet will not miraculously fix your beer. If you have an acidic smell you have either a lacto infection or pedio infection or possibly acetobacter. That scuzzy looking film on top of the beer is called a pellicle, it's what wild bugs use to regulate oxygen.

I'm not sure if a campden tablet can kill those bugs. But if it's already sour the damage has been done.

Dump the batch and start over. Figure out where in your process you're not being sanitary enough so you can avoid this happening. If this infected batch is in a plastic fermenter, throw out the fermenter as those bugs have a way of hiding in plastic.

Post picture of your infected batch if you could.

Thank you, homebrewtastic, for answering.
I know the campden tablet won't reverse the damage. I just want to know if it would keep it from getting worse.

I wouldn't dream of dumping this batch. I was actually pleased when I found out it was infected.
The batch is not beer. I'm right now brewing with whatever grains I can buy at the supermarket, just to get a feel for the process, so when I finally get the money to start brewing the real thing, I don't have to fear any major hiccups.
This particular batch is 750cc (yes, less than a quart), brewed out of chickpeas, with baker's dry yeast.

So this infected batch gives me the chance of exploring the results of an infection. I plan on letting it go till the end. Maybe I can invent chickpea vinegar...:D

Anyways, my question is for the future. I just want to know if campden tablets would be an effective weapon to stop an infection.

Sorry I don't have access to a camera right now. Either way, for what I uderstand, being a free member, I can't post any pictures...:(

Thank you, homebrewtastic, for answering.
I know the campden tablet won't reverse the damage. I just want to know if it would keep it from getting worse.

I wouldn't dream of dumping this batch. I was actually pleased when I found out it was infected.
The batch is not beer. I'm right now brewing with whatever grains I can buy at the supermarket, just to get a feel for the process, so when I finally get the money to start brewing the real thing, I don't have to fear any major hiccups.
This particular batch is 750cc (yes, less than a quart), brewed out of chickpeas, with baker's dry yeast.

So this infected batch gives me the chance of exploring the results of an infection. I plan on letting it go till the end. Maybe I can invent chickpea vinegar...:D

Anyways, my question is for the future. I just want to know if campden tablets would be an effective weapon to stop an infection.

Sorry I don't have access to a camera right now. Either way, for what I uderstand, being a free member, I can't post any pictures...:(

You could link to a photobucket.

I was under the impression that bakers yeast was not tolerant of alcohol and would be killed by the prescence of it.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Back