Infection or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zackmon21

Reaction score
Pellicle or yeast rafts and proteins. The bubbles are what worry me.

20230513_210701.jpg
20230513_210708.jpg
20230513_210735.jpg

What will you do if it is?

Just let it go until it's time to bottle and see what it tastes like along the way. If it's nasty as all get out when it gets to bottling time, then you can dump it then. Though you'll never know if it would have gotten better after sitting in the bottle or keg for a month or so.

Infections very seldom are toxic. You might get a case of the runs.

I am inclined to say no but somebody else here might recognize bubbles like that and say yes. Typically, I think it's pretty unusual for an infection to show itself so early on. Most times the yeast competes with it pretty vigorously and it's only after the yeast has run its course that the infection can start to take over. I don't know if that's always true, but the few cases of infections I have seen, and only one of my own brew, it took a while before it was noticeable.

If you're not using PBW or OxiClean for cleaning and starsan for sanitation, then I would say it's a good chance you could have a problem. I want to say I've seen bubbles like that on beers of my own but it's just been so long I don't recall. Most of the time I ferment in vessels I can't see into, but the more I think about this, I'm pretty sure I've seen bubbles like that before.

What will you do if it is?

Just let it go until it's time to bottle and see what it tastes like along the way. If it's nasty as all get out when it gets to bottling time, then you can dump it then. Though you'll never know if it would have gotten better after sitting in the bottle or keg for a month or so.

Infections very seldom are toxic. You might get a case of the runs.
It is a belgian strong ale, so if it doesn't taste like garbage, let it sit.

I also have a oral. I could pitch dregs into it and see if Brett takes over.

I am inclined to say no but somebody else here might recognize bubbles like that and say yes. Typically, I think it's pretty unusual for an infection to show itself so early on. Most times the yeast competes with it pretty vigorously and it's only after the yeast has run its course that the infection can start to take over. I don't know if that's always true, but the few cases of infections I have seen, and only one of my own brew, it took a while before it was noticeable.

If you're not using PBW or OxiClean for cleaning and starsan for sanitation, then I would say it's a good chance you could have a problem. I want to say I've seen bubbles like that on beers of my own but it's just been so long I don't recall. Most of the time I ferment in vessels I can't see into, but the more I think about this, I'm pretty sure I've seen bubbles like that before.
Yea, I have never seen solid bubble before in a non sour. Been brewing for 4 years.

I tasted it since it is supposed to bottle and brew day. I guess I am using new yeast now.

Probably the best advice is to just tell you to buy a fermenter you can't see into. Ignorance is bliss! :D

If you've been brewing sours it's possible that a previous batch left something that your normal sanitizing regimen didn't take care of.

I haven't done sours in a long time, but I had some beer seem infected once a batch or two after doing a sour with the same equipment and bottles.

So to keep that from happening again, I soaked everything in a chlorine bleach solution for the specified time on the bottle of Clorox I used. Then after rinsing and letting drain I went about my normal sanitizing routine.

Starsan and even Iodophor are not as broad ranging a sanitizer as chlorine bleach.

Still, I'd just hope for the best with the current batch. It might not be exactly what you intended it to be, but it might be just as enjoyable or at least not too bad.

I brew wilds/mix fermentations with Brett quite a bit and the bubbles certainly have the look of a pellicle starting. If you don’t need the fermenter anytime soon, I say run it another 2 weeks, if it’s truly infected you’ll start seeing the pellicle form. Then you’ll have to decide if it’s worth it or not to continue with the brew. If it taste ok, I say keep it going but I like funk

The (slimy) bubbles are a giveaway of existing surface tension which is commonly due to the presence of some sort of pellicle. They're harmless, and the resulting beer may taste fine, or even good.
But something unwanted got in there, so time to double-check your cleaning and sanitation regimen.

Is this in a secondary? I see several secondaries listed in your member signature. Unless we make sours or bulk age for longer times, most of us avoid using secondaries for "routine fermentations" anymore.

Update: I bottled and it's delicious.

Yes, I secondary and I think I got whatever it was from racking. I think it may have been from mixed ferment bottle dregs from oxbow, maybe. A pellicle didn't form so I thought they used a bottling strain.

I moved and started again and that must have been it. Thats a superold signature finally got space to brew a lot again and age. I have been secondary for 2 to 3 months, but maybe dont want to.

I am seeing it start to form on a weizenbock that I racked too. This one may be interesting as it is with a cali common yeast cake. I have not gotten an off flavors or it is muted in a dark belgian. May have to try noninfected again cali common wezienbock though. For the fermenter I put a boring belgian in it worth orval dregs. Looks like I need another funky beer for the weizenbock fermenter.

20230527_155314.jpg

Back