Infection or krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandoncox

Reaction score
My brew has been in the primary for two weeks now but I noticed there is a spread of spots on the top, as if it's restarting fermentation or something... maybe even an infection? It didn't take long for my beer to ferment and after a few days or so the head of krausen faded away but I decided it wouldn't hurt to leave the brew in there for a full two weeks.

Is it just krausen from the side of the carboy falling into the brew or is this a sign of infection? I thought the krausen collected on the sides would fall to the bottom. I lost my airlock and bung so I had to use aluminum foil and rubber bands to place on the carboy but I DID sanitize. Any idea?

My brew has been in the primary for two weeks now but I noticed there is a spread of spots on the top, as if it's restarting fermentation or something... maybe even an infection? It didn't take long for my beer to ferment and after a few days or so the head of krausen faded away but I decided it wouldn't hurt to leave the brew in there for a full two weeks.

Is it just krausen from the side of the carboy falling into the brew or is this a sign of infection? I thought the krausen collected on the sides would fall to the bottom. I lost my airlock and bung so I had to use aluminum foil and rubber bands to place on the carboy but I DID sanitize. Any idea?

I can't see the pic.:confused:

It's probably yeast rafts. The top of your beer is rarely free of floaties. It's only when there's a skin that you begin to worry, and even then the beer under could be perfectly fine. Even mold (which happens on occasion) is not really anything to fear. Relax.

Yep, I agree. I get stuff like that on top of my beer many weeks after fermentation. You're probably fine. You'll KNOW if it's an infection.

Latest posts

Back