Infected wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18thstatebrew

Reaction score
Alright so what does an infected wine taste like? I tried some of my welches grape concentrate wine and it had a carbonated taste. Like really fizzy in the back of my mouth. Is this infected?

I found a little bug in my airlock. Could this have been the cause for the infection?

There is still CO2 suspended in the liquid. That is why most people degas at certain stages. It's to help remove the CO2 that is still in there from fermentation. There is nothing wrong with your wine though. Just enjoy the slightly sparkling wine you made. The CO2 will eventually release itself in time, but for now... sparkling welches concentrate wine!

Racking it will help. I never really get around to degassing my wines, ciders, and meads, but I think most people just give it a good stir (for ~5 min) every day (I think maybe in primary... someone will have to double check on this for me). Long story short, if you just let it bulk age for a while, it'll degas itself. Even racking helps take most of the CO2 out of suspension. And if it is still in primary, it could just be still fermenting. Yeast + sugar = CO2 + alcohol.

it needs to be degassed, when i rack I let the wine run down the side of the carboy and it helps a bit but for the most part it still has a fizzy taste, drink it out of a glass and swirl it a bit before drinking and that seems to help too..

Back