Infected German Alt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTBrewer

Reaction score
I started brewing again after a couple year hiatus. I've done about 15 extract/mash beers, so not really a newbie, though there is plenty left to learn about the hobby. Anyhow I'll post this here, if it needs to be in another thread, please let me know.
I haven’t had any infected batches to date, but I’m all but positive I have one now. German Alt Ale kit from brewer’s best with a few extra hops. The kit was about a year old, but the liquid extract looked in good shape, not black and oxidized. I had planned on using Wyeast German Ale, but given the age of the pack, I tried a starter and wasn’t impressed, so I went with a pack of Nottingham that should have been in good shape. Meticulously washed everything with oxyclean, and sanitized everything with bleach, the primary bucket only has had a couple batches through it.
Partial boil, ice cooled in sink, topped up with cold distilled water. Aerated through sanitized strainer that has only been used for this purpose. Pitched yeast at 72, OG at 1.050, on target.
The primary ferment at 68-69 degrees went a little slower than I figured, wasn’t until almost a full two days later that it was going strong, bubbling at over 20 times a minute. Within a few days it was slowing down, and a couple days after that I racked it, so about 6 days in primary. Racked into glass with equipment that I had soaking in bleach, and then boiling water ran through it, including carboy, everything seemed well. New bung, new airlock. Beer was immediately bubbling about every 4 seconds, SG at 1.020, target 1.015. No off flavors at that point, if anything just a little bitter, to be expected. Placed into garage a little cooler, but controlled at 65-66. That was about a month ago. Since then about two weeks ago, it stopped fermenting for a few days, and did clear completely, no foam on top. I was preparing to bottle that weekend, and then when I get back to it, it is bubbling slowly again, and there is new krausen. Gave it another week, thought yeast were just getting used to their environment, weak yeast, or maybe I racked too early. There is a considerable layer of yeast sedimented. Somewhat light brown krausen, not very thick. Looks like a normal fermentation, except it’s going for three weeks longer than planned. No odd smells coming from the airlock, bubbling at once every 25 seconds or so at 68 degrees, smells like beer.
I just got my bottle of starsan and I’ll mix up a batch, sanitize the top and thief, pull the bung and get a sample. I’m thinking that the SG will be almost 1, with the beer either horrid, or approaching tastelessness. No white spiderwebs or green mold that I can see. Anyone have any problems with Nottingham before? This is the first time I’ve used this yeast. Not sure of infection, or wild yeast at this point.
Recap
-pitched Mar 22, 1.050
-racked Mar 28, 1.020
Still slow ferment as of 26 Apr.

Here are some pics of where it's at. Some of the pics look yellow, but that is just the lights in the garage.

Pic29resized.jpg

Pic30resized.jpg

Pic38resized.jpg

Pic43resized.jpg

Pic57resized.jpg

What's the gravity now? It probably was not finished before, is all. Your nose & a taste from the gravity sample will tell you much more about any infection than anyone here could. I'm guessing you're fine.

That looks normal to me. The bubbles are clear looking and you stating that the airlock was still 'slowly bubbling' tells me the beer is just off gassing a bit.

If it's already been three weeks, do a gravity reading. If it's around 1.010-1.015, then I think you could go ahead and keg or bottle it.

I agree, doesn't look infected, so I think you're OK there. Get a SG as soon as you can.
Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but a couple of observations. 1. I hope you rinsed that bleach really exceptionally well. Considering all the threads about off flavors from using chlorine treated tap water, using bleach for sanitation seems to be asking for off flavors. 2. Using Notty for an Alt seems a pretty unusual choice. To me, Alts are all about clean, almost lager-like flavors. Notty at those temps. throws esters which to me may be OK for an English ale, but not what I'd want in an Alt. If I didn't have the WY1007, I might have used something neutral like US-05.Hope it turns out where you want it to be.

Thanks for all of your comments; I've pulled a sample using a star san'd thief. Smells great in the carboy and jar. Nothing other than malt and hop aroma. SG is at 1.014, just at the bottom level of the target gravity. Taste is great as well, good malt and hop flavors, with a little of the hop sharpness rounded off from before the ferment, no bad aftertaste. I'm so happy that this batch is not (yet) been taken by a wild yeast or infection. I'm used to wine taking it's sweet time, (I make wine too), but beer always had a tighter schedule for me.

Jim- I share your chlorine concern; unscented, and everything was rinsed with boiling water. The yeast may be an unusual choice; it was my only choice, other than some saflager, probably useless muntons or a myriad of wine yeast. The liquid wyeast "german ale" pack that I had with the kit was not doing anything so " It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt & hops to develop" (Danstar) was what I had left in the house. The temp has not gotten to 70 degrees for the entire fermentation, about 67-68 in the house, 61-64 for the most time in the garage. I think above 73 I'd start to get those flavors, and below 57 might not ferment much at all. I haven't used this yeast before personally, and I was spooked that it wasn't doing anything for two days. I chalk that up to loose fermentation pail.

So this thing is still bubbling about every 16-18 seconds. If anything it speeded up. Should I forget about it a few more days and check gravity again? At what delta should I continue to wait? .002, .003? I want to get it into bottles, but don't want 50 bombs either.

JarResized.jpg

GlassResized.jpg

That's a beautiful looking, clear sample! Looking like that with the SG you have, I'll bet she's finished. Take another SG in a day or two and if they agree, go ahead and bottle. :mug:

LT, if it's that clear out of the carboy, I'd be very surprised if it isn't done. I'd bottle at just about any point now. Checking gravity right before you bottle might not be bad, but probably isn't necessary either. I'd wager any airlock activity you're seeing is just off gassing from temp changes or other causes.

I wish I could believe it was just offgassing. There is fresh krausen on top, and it is still bubbling at about every 40 seconds. I was encouraged about 5 days ago, it slowed to about 90 seconds. Since then it looks like it decided to take off again. I'm torn between bottling it and waiting it out to see what's going on. Any remedy except either wait or bottle and hope for the best? At this point I really wish I had waited for some other yeast to show up.

Latest posts

Back