Infected due to lager temps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskii

Reaction score
Well, my 1 st brew this year has gone south. A cream ale PM I received as a gift. I was using my fermenting freezer and decided at week 3 to lower to lager temps (48F) from the 63 I had it fermenting at in a typical cream ale fashion.
This caused the airlock to suck back and I am comfortable that there was cross contamination.
I use starsan in my airlocks but it foams an evaporates so after primary is done I usually top off with bottled water.
Now, I have been looking forward to this ale for a while and it has been really good up to now. I check on it almost every day and was going to bottle it today but yesterday I looked in the carboy and there is a Pellical on it and it's infected. Because I watch it so closely I know this happened within the last 2'days...about 7 days after the temp drop.

I'm about to do a lager... How do I avoid suck back from the temp drop after primary and I suppose if I were using vodka this would have been avoided? For that matter I have noticed the same thing happen from cooling to ferm temp after I rack to secondary. Does anyone else have this problem?
Help... I cant believe how bad I feel that this sucker went south on me and I want to keep this from happening again.

i use a blowoff tube on a 3 piece airlock when dropping temps -- that way it can't suck back. Another option is to use a "S" type airlock -- when filled to the proper level, it shouldn't have any suck back.

+1 for a "S" airlock. Best 1$ I have ever spent.

Also, if you are looking for great ways to encourage infection, then keep opening the bucket every day. It is a great way to get foreign material in your beer. ;) But seriously, stop opening your fermenter. I would be willing to bet that cracking that lid is what caused the infection.

Thanks for the feed back but... No chance." Watching it daily" is my opening the lid to my ferm freezer and looking through the glass carboy w/a flashlight (hell -it 's probably light struck). Never touched the bung until I saw the pellical.

Also, if you are looking for great ways to encourage infection, then keep opening the bucket every day. It is a great way to get foreign material in your beer. ;) But seriously, stop opening your fermenter. I would be willing to bet that cracking that lid is what caused the infection.

I agree. One of THE BEST PURCHASES I MADE was sub $2 for a 12" pipette.(A long glass eyedropper with a silicon rubber bulb) If you want a tiny sample it is easy to grab one by removing the airlock and going through the hole it was in...

I re-read my OP and I think I made you think I've been sampling it regularly.... I never sample other than hydro samples at ferm fill and again when I rack to secondary... Again, in this case now 9 days ago, 7 days before the first indication of the infection. That is what leads me to believe that it is from the airlock.
Regardless, this is a huge wake up call for me to be extra cautious with the sanitation. I was hoping to get some tips to avoid the "suck back" when you crash after ferm is complete. I think I will switch to vodka in the airlocks and maybe a blow off hose at lager time?

wildwest450 said:
48f is "lagering" temp?

_

It was 43 ( my bad) and while not in the mid-low 30s it was nearly a 20 deg crash. It's my first cream ale and I was being what I thought was cautious .

Edit- I am getting ready to do my first lager so I know I am going to see this again unless I change something

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it generally takes a lot longer than 7 days to get a pellicle to form. If you got something that quick, sanitation was a problem well before the suck back occurred.

IffyG said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it generally takes a lot longer than 7 days to get a pellicle to form.

is that true ? Tasted it at secondary transfer and it was clean.... Not sour at all after 7 days... It definitely Has a dull whitish flim across the entire surface.
I have only experienced this one other time and the film formed in the bottles -but that did taste sour after 7 days primary and I blamed it on letting it go 48 hours before realizing the yeast was not viable and then re-'pitched. In that case it was nearly 3 weeks before you saw the Pellicle and it was in every bottle.

I can't imagine you'd get anything looking infected in that short a time. Maybe some foam residue hanging around...

I'd ride it out and see what it tastes like after your lagering is complete. I'm guessing it's going to be ok.

Can we see a picture of this supposed infection?

hard to see from the condensation in the Carboy but you should be able to see the cracks in the surface film that occured when I lifted it out of the Freezer. Some of these breaks clumped up and are now thin snot-strings hanging down into the liquid.
As I said, I use star San in my airlocks and i have seen the "rainbow film" that it leaves...this is different...and it smells not good (and I did take the bung out for that)

DSCF1898.jpg

DSCF1897.jpg

DSCF1895.jpg

If you are doing a lager from the beginning, just pitch at the same temp. Since there will be no temp change, there will be no pressure change causing suck back.

When I cold crash an ale, I sanitize a piece of cling wrap, place it over the carboy mouth and then put the carboy cap back on top.

Back