Indy Amarillo Citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdhammans52

Reaction score
Hi. New around here. Have heard about the greatness of Citra and decided to incorporate it into a wheat. Went a little something like this for a 5gal batch that is now bubbling like crazy. Brewed Friday 1/4.

6# 2 row
4# American Wheat
.5# Caravienne

152° for 70min mash.

.75oz Amarillo - 60min

.75oz Amarillo - 30min

.5oz Amarillo - 15mins
.5oz Citra - 15 mins

.5oz Amarillo - 5mins
.5oz Citra - 5mins

.5oz Amarillo- 0mins
.5oz Citra - 0mins

.25oz Amarillo - Dry 7 days
.25oz Citra - Dry 7 day

Smells amazing in the fermenter and obviously haven't dry hopped yet. It's like having a citrus air freshener in my room. One that I will drink.

Forgot. Used some Nottingham dry here. I know, maybe not the greatest, but it fit the budget and hasnt failed me yet. From the looks of the bubbling...it's alive! Started out at 1.049ish.

One week since the brew, and today's reading was 1.007, so thinking fermentation is all but done. Sample tasted great. Dry hopped and sealed the fermenter up for another week. Looking forward to getting it bottled up.

Ok. This thread has been immensely popular, so I will continue. Bottled today. 2 cases even. Tons of trub took probably a gallon from me. What can you do? Sampled a bit and cannot wait to taste it fully carbed and cold. Reminds me of Gumballhead, with some subtle differences.

Looks like a winner recipe man! Let us know how it tastes after it is carbed/cold. And post a glorious picture of course! If you like it, I may be brewing something similar soon.

-Steve

Looks like a winner recipe man! Let us know how it tastes after it is carbed/cold. And post a glorious picture of course! If you like it, I may be brewing something similar soon.

-Steve

Looks pretty tasty! I'm with Steve make sure you post a glorious picture of it and let us know how it tastes.

Thanks all. Will definitely post up some pics and a final review. Next time I will probably go with a couple more ounces of hops. Really liked the way the citra and amarillo seemed to work together.

And yes Scottland, these 2 are pretty similar. Glad to hear yours turned out nicely. Im dying to try one out after smelling it for weeks now lol.

Hoping so. Will probably crack one open after a week in bottle. I know it will be green and not ready, but am going to do it in the name of science.

I hear that. The good (or bad) news is, they are already bubbling more than some porters I bottled almost 3 weeks ago, when I give the bottles a little spin. These porters are either gonna take forever, or just never carb...

Had an emergency after priming/siphoning the porters, and had to wait til the following afternoon to actually bottle. Anyone know the odds of this completely 'ing me up?

Almost forgot pics until they were basically gone. Here is the last of it. Really was good...fruity, hoppy, and just enough wheat flavor for a nice balance. Will brew again for sure.

ForumRunner_20130308_194621.png

Back