Inducing oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjacokes

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I've ever tasted the effects of oxidation, so while bottling my last batch I took the final bottle that came out, which was only half filled, and shook it for about a minute after capping it. (I know, it was a great sacrifice to ask of that brave bottle, but he was full of dry hop chunks anyway). Will this give me the off flavors I'm trying to isolate, and if so how long should I expect to wait before getting them?

On a semi-related note, the other day I was at an awful bar nearby and had three different kinds of beers that all had the same horrible off-flavors. My friend described it as "used bath water", which I don't think was too far off. Basically couldn't taste the beer through this nastiness. Any idea what I might have been tasting, oxidation or otherwise? Seems to me that it might be a problem with their storage or tap system, since it was the same off-tastes in three separate types of beer, but figured I'd throw the question out there...

Back