Indian inspired recipe suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mplsbrewer

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a big fan of Indian cuisine and am interested in developing a recipe with some ingredients commonly used in Indian cooking. I wanted to give it a subtle hint of heat and spice, and was originally thinking of starting with a blonde ale base recipe which I have brewed many times (pale 2-row, cara-pils/dextrine, toasted malts; hallertauer + cascade hops, East coast ale yeast) and just adding some green chilies during secondary to add some heat.

I've since done some research and think I want to add a pound or two of jaggery during the boil. I'm unsure how this would work in my blonde base. I have an ESB recipe (Maris otter, Crystal 60L, turbinado sugar, Target hops, British ale yeast) that I could use but I'm not sure how the spice of the chilies would work in an ESB. I would replace the turbinado with the jaggery in this case.

I'm also considering a few other ingredients such as ginger, cardamom, cloves, or even cayenne powder or garam masala. Obviously I don't want to throw everything in, and just want to get a little background heat and subtle flavor from whichever ingredients I choose.

I was just wondering if anyone had any successful experiences with using any of these ingredients and in what ratios, combinations, and when you would typically add them (boil vs fermentation). Thanks!

I've never had asafoetida, black cardamom or fenugreek in beer if that helps. Or black salt or onion seeds. They are all tasty though.

Not really indian more Mexican I guess.... but a really good green chile beer recipe. Light with a back round spice.
Rather than just dry hoping 1lb of chilies we grabbed 8, fire roasted them over a bon fire (taste better than when we just used the BBQ) dropped 4 in at boil and used the other 4 for "dry hopping"

Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 11.07.17 PM.png

Back