Inception

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent movie! I went to see it opening night and loved it.

A little hard to wrap my mind around in parts, but a great movie none the less. The ending was a bummer though. Have you seen it or did you want to know opinions before you see it? I don't want to put out any spoilers here.

Loved it. I found it very straigh forward, but it required absolute attention. There were a few points were I thought they skipped to keep the run time down: the girl took to the whole thing way too fast, the death of the father and the convenient plane ride were just too perfectly timed.

But overall, it was awesome! I even liked the ending because it made you think without giving me that "Oh jeez" moment. Personally, I think it was reality because there were no indications that everything presented as reality during the moving wasn't, and he definitely returned to that "world" at the end. so for the ending to NOT be reality, the entire movie would have had to have been a dream sequence.

IMO at least.

I can see both sides of the argument for reality vs. dream.

A great point I heard from a friend: They talked about how dreams always start in the middle and you never know how you arrived at that location. Throughout the movie, Cobb traveled all over the world and the viewer never knows how he got there.

I'm sorry, yes I saw the movie yesterday afternoon. I thought it was fantastic. It has been awhile since a movie made me got "wow". I also think the ending was reality. I really liked how they "tarantino'd" the ending as well because at the start your thinking "wow how is this gunna work" and by the end it makes complete sense.

Well I guess we're putting out spoilers then...

I was a little confused by the whole "kick" thing. I think that's what they were calling it anyways. If they come out of a dream because of a shift in their balance, then why did they continue to dream after the van got so messed up? I just didn't get that. The van got hit over and over, even flipped. Yet, all it takes to wake them up is the van hitting the water.

I think the "kick" was programmed by that machine they used to go into the dreams, that's why only the predetermined "kick" would wake them up.

That was another of the details I meant to say they left out. There was ZERO mention of how the technology worked, not even a quick, sci-fi once-over type explanation.

That confused me too. A friend linked me this article. If you take it as a dream then there is no reason to explain how the technology worked.

SPOILER LINK:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/24477/1/NEVER-WAKE-UP-THE-MEANING-AND-SECRET-OF-INCEPTION/Page1.html

That's an interesting point of view. The only thing I can think of that hinted of the origin of the machine was when they mentioned it was developed by the military to allow soldiers to feel knife wounds and gun shots.

A few things lead me to believe the movie ends in a dream:

1) the most evident clue: we do not see the top stop spinning.
2) Although supposedly extradited from the USA and away from his family for quite some time, upon his return, DiCaprio's children do not appear to have aged a day compared to his memories of them.
3) While walking out the airport at the end, everyone in the airport is staring at DiCaprio like people supposedly do when they suspect someone has invaded their dream.

2) Although supposedly extradited from the USA and away from his family for quite some time, upon his return, DiCaprio's children do not appear to have aged a day compared to his memories of them.
3) While walking out the airport at the end, everyone in the airport is staring at DiCaprio like people supposedly do when they suspect someone has invaded their dream.

Wow man good job! Did you see it twice?

i just read the article shared by Austin_ above. A very good read btw. It points out that not only have his children not aged, they are wearing the exact same outfits that they were in his dream/memory, a fact that I didn't notice.

Hey... a co-worker brought up something I never thought of at all.

What if the movie was a dream, except it was simply Leo's dream while sleeping on the plane? Basically, he was returning to home from somewhere, went into first class, and fell asleep. The people in first class made their way into his dream because he saw them before he drifted off. No one spoke when they showed him wake up. They looked at each other, but that means nothing really. Even the Chinese guy making the call really means nothing. Everything from the time he woke up until the movie ended really only made you think because you saw the rest of the movie. Taken by itself, the last few minutes were a routine end of a trip scenario. Even spinning the top, so what? Could be a nervous habit he had his whole life and that also crept into his dream.

If you think of him as some regular guy going home from somewhere, this whole thing is totally plausible. Some guy gets on a plane and has a whacked out crazy dream while taking a long nap. Nothing more.

I actually thought this was a really plausible explanation when he told me.

2 and 3 have convinced me that it was, in fact, a dream.

Everyone bases it on number 1... but to me, that's not enough proof. The top does faulter at the end like it's going to fall down. It never does this in his dreams. It always spins straight up and down and doesn't even hint that it may fall. The fact that they cut to credits at that point doesn't mean the top never fell.

I loved it. The reality vs dream thing is a moot point for me, it's "all in your head" anyway.

What about the fact that his kids never aged and had the same clothes on? Had to be a dream?

After seeing it again I noticed the only people that staring at DiCaprio are the people he worked with.

What about the fact that his kids never aged and had the same clothes on? Had to be a dream?

Apparently, the kids from the final scene are different actors from the prior scenes (2 years older). Also, their clothes are different. Very similar (red shoes vs white, slightly different patterns, etc.), but different.

Back