In line thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billforshort

Reaction score
I am planing on building my CFC here shortly and want to incorporate an inline thermometer but don't want to pay for the thrumometer by blichmann. I've seen posts where people have created their own using brass fittings, but why wouldn't you use copper if you are using a copper coil for chilling? Is there a risk in the solder and flux that sweat joined the fittings together harboring bacteria? If so, how is this any different than the sweat joints in your house?

I dont have a good answer to your actual question, but I've seen a few builds where people use the stick-on liquid crystal thermometers (think fish tank thermometer). Stick it on the wort-out tubing, and you get your wort-out temp.

Just an idea.

If so, how is this any different than the sweat joints in your house?

im not saying that is necessarily the reason, but just wanted to point out the difference between clean potable water, and sugar infused wort. bacteria doesnt have much food available in your house water supply, and its also always sealed from the open environment and always full of water. much different.

My inline thermo build thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/inline-thermometer-build-3-4-simple-simple-163779/

Bacteria isn't a problem because with a CFC you should be running boiling wort through it for 10 minutes before you start cooling. If you are not using a pump, sanitation of the CFC will be difficult.

The fish tank stick-on thermometer worked for a while, but eventually I think the boiling temps killed it. I ended up putting a real dial thermometer into the output. This works far better than the thing in the thread above. I also have owned (briefly) a thrumometer. Dial thermometer is better. Click on the pic below for a bigger easier to see pic.

Back