Improvised Brew Equipment for Huge Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbutler6

Reaction score
Hello All

Just wondering if anyone has used a modified 45 gallon steel food grade drum as a boil kettle. I can get these for around 10 dollars so its incredibly cheap. I have 5 50 liter kegs and id like to be brewing 50 liter batches, or possibly even 100, fermenting in 45 gallon food grade barrels and transferring to the kegs for carbonation.

Im sure the steel can stand up to the heat but any possible problems with the coating that makes it food grade?

Thanks for the help

I have made some 55 gallon drum smokers before from barrels that had food grade oil in them. Many of them have a liner on the inside that needs to be burned out and then hit with a wire wheel. I'm not sure if this would work for a boil pot, and certainly not sure if its worth your time.

If you could find one you were sure had no lining, and never contained chemicals, maybe. Or if you could find a stainless one, but its gonna cost ya.

Back