Imperial Yeast, Newish kid on the block

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched one of their sour blends (SourBatchKids) last week. Seems to be plugging along - I don't have a pellicle yet, but something's chewing through the leftover sugars in the beer plus the sour cherries I added.

I bought a can of Imperial A04 Barbarian a year ago, have used it for 11 ten gallon brews so far using over-built starters and it's still running pretty true.

A 78 point 5 gallon batch may test a single can. I'd have done a starter...

Cheers!

I bought a can of Imperial A04 Barbarian a year ago, have used it for 11 ten gallon brews so far using over-built starters and it's still running pretty true.

A 78 point 5 gallon batch may test a single can. I'd have done a starter...

Cheers!

I would normally do a starter, but the LHBS/Brewery said to pitch it as it it. I've got some dry yeast if there is no movement in 3 days

Well Imperial states a can is good up to 60 points per five gallons, so you're not looking at a major under-pitch.
All contributing factors at a reasonable score, I expect it'll turn out fine...

Cheers!

24 hours in, and it's a very active fermentation.
Let's see what the final gravity is..
but the ease and convenience of this product has me almost sold on it

That's true.
As I do 10 gallon batches the price, otoh, would be prohibitive for me if I had to buy more than the first can...

Cheers!

Both Gigayeast and Omega Yeast Labs advertise their products as having cell counts large enough to ferment a 5 gallon batch.

I have the Barbarian strain going right now in an IPA. Just wanted to try something new. First time using Imperial. Fermentation started quick. Hardest part is getting the yeast out of the can. Had to use a sanitized spoon. No big deal. Almost done with fermentation, currently dry hopping with some citra and cascade.

Im using A15 Independence,
Violent fermentation !
48 hours after pitching, the krausen filled the remaining space in the 8 gallon conical. I will have to reevaluate my system with the next strain I try.

I really like Imperial. I do starters with them to double the amount. I found it easy to get the yeast out by refillibg itwith sterile wort, and pitching.

I've been wanting to order some Imperial yeast. According to their website, they don't distribute to the southeast. Do you think this yeast is worth the extra cost of having it shipped one day with ice packs?

Imperial is some great yeast. I usually do a starter and double the cell count. Most of these high cell count yeasts are great to pitch on smaller beers, but as mentioned, the recommendation for direct pitching has a limit.

Latest posts

Back