Imperial Stout stuck after re-pitch @ 1.037

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sursole

Reaction score
Issues with my second brew, looking for some suggestions.

Here's what happened. Brewed an all grain 5 g belgian imperial stout with 2 packs of T-58. Came to be 1.090, after adding candi sugar after high krausen it should have been 1.099. After two weeks being in primary I began to check gravity, it was 1.040 over seveal days. I decided to repitch. Hydrated 1 pack of T-58, then created a starter on a stir plate over 24 hours where i intermittently added some of the fermented beer to acclimate the yeast. Stepped things up to 3/4 gallon and let it rest one more day. Transferred my beer off the yeast and into a secondary ontop of my new starter. It's been a week now and my beer is only down to 1.037, with zero airlock action now (i know...). I'll take a reading in another week and see if anything changes. If it hasn't, I think I can conclude it is not moving. So what to do then? I really just want this beer done with and in the bottle at this point, but not if it means i end up with a bottle bomb.

Temp is resting at 73 now. I had ramped it up a bit in the past without much luck. This being my first high gravity there are to mistakes I think I made-- gave no yeast nutrient, probably didnt oxygenate enough

If in a week there is no movement, I can conclude there are 3 options:
1) No more fermentables - safe to bottle
2) Still fermentables but yeast quit/stalled - I will have a saison cake I can pitch on top of in two weeks, but that would be my final corrective attempt
3) Still fermentables but I can't get it down, if I did under aerate before is there anything else to do now?

i will guess and say it no 1
If its too sweet for you and you really want lower FG add some amylase enzymes, by adding very little and checking SG after few days you will know whats going on, if beer taste fine give it 4-6 weeks in primary and bottle or 2ndary for 3-9 more months and then bottle

To test your saison cake idea, maybe do a small starter with your beer to see where it takes it.

2 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)
12 lbs Superior Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Dark Chocolate Malt
Black Prins (0.5lb)

Meant to do a single infusion, but the water additions didn't bring it up to temp so I had to step it a bit:
Mashed in at 148* for 15 min
Stepped to 151* for 10 min
Stepped to 155, help for 45 min
For mash out first brought it to 158 for 10 minutes
Then was only able to bring it to 162 for mash out, held only 5 minutes it seems according to my notes

Water additions got a bit out of hand unfortunately. Any clue here as to what may have happened? Kinda shocked we only fully mashed out for 5 min and at 162, notes could be wrong but they could be right. Could that be why?

Brew was still stuck after 2 more weeks. I had just free'd up a saison cake so I decided to pitch ontop of that. Within 3 hours I got airlock action, and its still going 20 hours later right now, with about 1 bubble every 10 seconds. Seemed to do the fix. A small concern now is that the beer may just be too phenolic, but I'll let the ferment finish and see what I got.

Back