Imperial stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
What thoughts?

7.5 lbs pale ale malt
.5 lb dark munich
.5 lb flaked barley
.5 lb oats
.5 lb wheat malt
.5 lb kamut (durum)
.25 lb each

amaranth
quinoa
spelt
cooked with the kamut for conversion before mashing

.6 lb chocolate
.5 lb roast barley
.5 lb C-40
.25 lb Special B
.25 Caravienne

Hops;

.75 oz Cluster 60 min.
.25 oz Cluster 40 min.
.75 oz Goldings 20 min.
.75 oz Goldings 15 min.
.5 oz Williamette 5 min.

Nottingham to chew it up

SRM- 45
IBUs - 58

3.75 gallon batch--6.5 gallon boil

1.01 OG
1.20 FG

I'm intrigued by Hopworks Urban Brewery's (Portland) Seven Grain Survival Stout, wanting to use up some grains, wanting a thick, potent stout, and making an aging mate to my freshly-brewed barleywine.

I think you need to simplify the recipe. You have 13 malts/grain with .5 lbs or less, they are all just going to muddle together. I would go pale/dark crystal/chocolate/roast, plus a pound or two of the unmalted grain of your choice. The rest of the recipe looks fine.

If you want to use up grains, don’t do it on a long aged beer, go with a quick amber ale that won’t be such a waste of effort if it doesn’t come out well.

Wow i know this was posted like four years ago, but i was wondering how your brew turned out with the addition of the kaumt. It is by far one of my favorite grains to fix with dinner and was looking to find someone with experience brewing with it.

Latest posts

Back