Imperial Red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afelt13

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new brewer (blonde ale with Kolsch yeast was my first and a pumpkin vanilla/cinnamon ale was my second, both of which turned out very drinkable much to my surprise!) and new to this forum, but I am wanting to brew an imperial red IPA. I'm a big fan of the style, so many different flavor profiles in the style to me, but it seems like it could be a boom or bust brew. I have a recipe for one that is similar to G'knight, probably my favorite at the moment, but I want it to be a bit more hop profile, but not overwhelming. Also, I'm an extract brewer right now as I don't have near the room or the equipment to do all grain, but that's next on my list. Anyway, which hop might should I increase or add to it? I have increased the Northern Brewer from .75 to 1 oz for 80 min, 4 oz of Columbus @ 10 min, and increased it from 2.15 oz Amarillo to 3 oz @ dry hop. Would this add more hop profile, or should I go with the original hop amount and add another different hop to it? Any and all suggestions are appreciated! As well as any other homebrew tips. Also, sorry if this has been mentioned before. Post the link to the thread if it's somewhere on here elsewhere. Thanks!

Welcome to HBT and congrats on your first two brews. Your 80 minute addition will increase bitterness, the 10 minute both flavor and aroma, and the dry hop mainly aroma. I don't know the beer or the recipe, so can't really comment much more than that.

If you post the recipe, others might be able to comment on it. Cheers!

Back