Imperial coffe cream ale (regular coffee or cafe y churro)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrew

Reaction score
Looking to fill the other side of my kegerator with something chewy and boozy for the winter. Not a huge stout fan so thought maybe id do a belgian beer, but then had the thought of trying to make a coffee cream ale.
For those familiar with regular coffee or cafe y churro from carton brewery, I emailed and recieved some info for trying to brew it. They do some things that i wont be able to replicate, but Im trying to get close.
So they suggest starting with a cream ale recipe and sizing it up to be a huge beer.
Then they said they add enough dextrose till the yeast dies. Then enough lactose to balance the thinned beer.
They then double cold brew a medium roast bitter coffee that there coffee supplier taylors just for them, add it into secondary. After secondary, they add vanilla beans and cinammon, and more cracked coffee beans and sous vide the finished beer at 140 for 24 hours.
So now hows the best way to try and tackle this? As I said, i don't expect to be on point with theirs, and i wont have the ability to sous vide the finished beer, but I would like to make my own rendition getting similar flavors.

My starting attempt at a recipe is as follows:

Take biermunchers cream of 3 crops recipe and either double it or 1.5 times the recipe
Then add a pound and a half of dextrose, and then a half pound of lactose.
Brew a pint of coffee, then add vanilla sticks and cinammon to the finished coffee and sous vide that coffee at the recommended temp for about 8 hours and add to secondary.

This is just a shot in the dark, i havnt added any of this brewing software to attempt to figure out gravity figures and alcohol percentages. Im just putting it out there for advice, critiques, and to see if anyone on here has done anything like this.
Thanks all for any thoughts

Last edited:
I decided to put this on hold for now, my kegerator is near empty, so I decided to do a vanilla porter and also give the holiday cheer recipe a go. Hoping to give this a shot early in the new year. When I finally do, I'll post back here my results for anyone who might become interested in it.

Back