I'm very new to this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedyhoward

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm really new to home brewing and really don't understand the terms used on here. I intend to learn as I go along and build my skills so that eventually I can be confident that I can brew something I enjoy drinking as much as something I've bought.

So... As a starter I bought one of these kits where you just add water, yeast and sugar. Probably a sin to lots of folks here but I really haven't a clue yet. I just bottled up but the brew tasted a little watery. I'm supposed to leave it for another couple of weeks... So my question is, should the taste change over a couple of weeks in the bottles? Thanks

Yes you will notice change over time. It is called bottle conditioning. The yeast is still doin some work!

As for it being a sin, I think not. Everyone has to start somewhere and if it is truly an interest then you will move to bigger and better kits and more complex brews.

Truth be told, most of us started in a similar fashion. I had a Mr. Beer starter kit and worked up from there. Lots of good information on this site, and lots of knowledgeable folks to help out. Enjoy the hobby.

As for it being a sin, I think not. Everyone has to start somewhere and if it is truly an interest then you will move to bigger and better kits and more complex brews.

And don't let your final product discourage you from continuing to brew. There is a ceiling on how good partial-boil extract brewing can be. Start adding adding complexity (which means equipment) to your brewing with each batch. For me, I brewed 5-6 extract brews before I decided that I would be brewing all-grain or nothing. Many people happily brew extract for years though. No sin at all. I think anytime someone is fermenting something themselves, be it beer, wine, cheese, bread, sauerkraut, salami, vinegar, etc, it shows a certain creativity and independence. I don't know about these kombucha people though.

Jaehnig said:

+1 this

Everyone starts somewhere! I started out with the Midwest groupon that included a kit. Brewed probably 5 extract kits, then decided to try all grain. All this happened within a year of my first brew. Starting with easy kits is the best way to get to learn the process and get your fermentation temps under control.

Thanks folks... appreaciate the responses! I'll leave it alone and let it do it's thing for a couple of weeks... fingers crossed.

AndrewD said:
And don't let your final product discourage you from continuing to brew. There is a ceiling on how good partial-boil extract brewing can be. Start adding adding complexity (which means equipment) to your brewing with each batch. For me, I brewed 5-6 extract brews before I decided that I would be brewing all-grain or nothing. Many people happily brew extract for years though. No sin at all. I think anytime someone is fermenting something themselves, be it beer, wine, cheese, bread, sauerkraut, salami, vinegar, etc, it shows a certain creativity and independence. I don't know about these kombucha people though.

The first portion of this is a must. The kit you have can only yield so well. So don't take it to heart if this isn't the best beer you have ever tasted.

Keep us posted.

I highly suggest reading John Palmer's How to Brew. There's a free online version at www.howtobrew.com but the print edition has been revised with some more up to date information. We all start somewhere and there's nothing wrong with starting like you did. There is a wealth of information online, particularly at this site. I encourage you to read everything you can and keep at it!

"Joy of Homebrewing" by Papazian is a good starter book too. Maybe a little better for a total newbie because Palmer gets pretty scientific. Both are great books though and I reference both regularly.

This site is a great resource too. Read some of the stickies at the top.

ktblunden said:
I highly suggest reading John Palmer's How to Brew. There's a free online version at www.howtobrew.com but the print edition has been revised with some more up to date information. We all start somewhere and there's nothing wrong with starting like you did. There is a wealth of information online, particularly at this site. I encourage you to read everything you can and keep at it!

Pilotpip said:
"Joy of Homebrewing" by Papazian is a good starter book too. Maybe a little better for a total newbie because Palmer gets pretty scientific. Both are great books though and I reference both regularly.

This site is a great resource too. Read some of the stickies at the top.

+1 to both.

I'll second the suggestion to read How to Brew by John Palmer.
Do yourself and read it online. Then if you get into it, get the actual book yourself.
It'll blow the dust off you're nutts. It's a great pursuit. Keep it up:)

I just started this year also. I would say keep reading HBT, and if you have a local homebrew shop, go in there and pick their brains as well. The guys in the shops closest to me have always been very knowledgeable and happy to answer questions.

This forum is great, a, quick search can probably answer almost any question you have, and if not, just ask. The combined experience here is amazing.

Best of luck, and have fun!!

I also started with a Mr Beer and I made pretty decent beer with it (when tweaking their recipes). I only did 4 kits before jumping into all grain but that is just because 2 gallons at a time wasn't enough and I have to have control over every step of the process with my OCD tendencies. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using kits and after you get used to them and the ingredients you will find what you like/dislike and can start tweaking and expanding from there. Welcome to the Hobsession! :mug:

Just have fun with it. Get as in depth as you want to and learn as much as you can along the way. Lot's of great advice to be had here in these forums. I find most of my questions are answered before I get to ask them just by browsing daily. I agree 100% with the book recommendations above. Good luck!

Hi all,

I'm really new to home brewing and really don't understand the terms used on here. I intend to learn as I go along and build my skills so that eventually I can be confident that I can brew something I enjoy drinking as much as something I've bought.

So... As a starter I bought one of these kits where you just add water, yeast and sugar. Probably a sin to lots of folks here but I really haven't a clue yet. I just bottled up but the brew tasted a little watery. I'm supposed to leave it for another couple of weeks... So my question is, should the taste change over a couple of weeks in the bottles? Thanks

No sin with starting this way. I did not see how long it fermented,please tell us it was not mixed up and bottled without being fermented.

What kind of beer was it. Give it 2 to 3 weeks in the bottle and let us know how it came out.

Back