I'm totally making this up, whatcha think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camride

Reaction score
Ok, I've got a Midwest Supplies Belgian Trippel I'm making today. I wanted to change it up a little and add some more hops and a little more gravity. Here's what I'm about to do:

Fermentables:

4lbs Munton's Plain Extra Light DME
3.3lbs Midwest Pilson Light LME
2lbs Belgian Candi Sugar

Then for the boil schedule I have:

1oz Styrian Golding - 60min
1/2oz Willamette - 30min
1/2oz Saaz - 20min
1/2oz Styrian Golding - 15min
1/2oz Cascade - 10min
Orange Peel - 5min
1/2oz Willamette - 5min
1/2oz Styrian Golding - 5 min
1/2oz Saaz - Flame Out
1/2oz Cascade - Flame Out

Belgian Candi sugar will be added around the 10 minute mark. I thought I had read about some Belgian brews adding the candi sugar after primary fermentation had settled down, to kick start the yeast again and add gravity, so I'm still debating about splitting up the sugar to 1lb in the boil and 1lb after ~5-7 days.

Either way I think this should come out pretty good. :) What do you guys think?

Im no expert on hops so I cant comment on that but I agree with the late Candied sugar addition. Adding all those fermentables at once can be hard on the yeast. I would add the sugar after 2 or 3 days of active fermentation.

Im no expert on hops so I cant comment on that but I agree with the late Candied sugar addition. Adding all those fermentables at once can be hard on the yeast. I would add the sugar after 2 or 3 days of active fermentation.
Good point. I did step up my starter (which is going crazy right now) but I think I'd still rather be on the safe side rather than potentially stress out the yeast. I'll do 1lb in the boil and 1lb later.

Are you looking for low bittering but high aroma and hop flavor? You have 3 1/2 oz in the flavor aroma zones and 1 oz bittering and 1/2 oz in no mans land (30 mins). If you want more balance move the 1/2 at 30 mins and the 1/2 at 20 mins but to 60 and that will help balance it out some. The rest look fine.

With all the malt you need more bittering hops.

I say make your own belgian candi cyrup, add the flavor and color you want, after primary fermentation has subsided. You can make 1.2 pounds of belgian candy syrup out of 1 pound of sugar, which costs less than $1 https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/ also, you can add color or whateer charicter you want, or you can do a "multi temp" by taking samples out as it warms up, and then combining them all back in the pot at the end (getting 1/10 each, 10 diffrent color/temperature/flavor states)

Also, always add more hops, can't go wrong there, you'll need more alcohol to balance it out, I'd order more light DME unless shipping is flat rate. Also, candy syrup is easily fermentable, but once I hit 10 pounds of fermentables, I usual make a starter, it helps lessen the pronounced yeast flavors, as they do their job faster, and cleaner.

Are you looking for low bittering but high aroma and hop flavor? You have 3 1/2 oz in the flavor aroma zones and 1 oz bittering and 1/2 oz in no mans land (30 mins). If you want more balance move the 1/2 at 30 mins and the 1/2 at 20 mins but to 60 and that will help balance it out some. The rest look fine.

With all the malt you need more bittering hops.
So move the 1/2oz Willamette and 1/2oz Saaz to 60 minutes? Would it be better to use different hops for bittering? I've got 1oz of Sterling and Centennial in the fridge, I could use one of those instead...

Brad, I've got a big 2L starting chugging away now, so I should be good there. :) I will definitely look into making my own candi sugar, but this came with the kit so it's not a huge deal at this point.

If you can find a higher alpha acid hop you can use less. The amounts only mater in relation to the AA content. So if you know them try to place some of the higher AA hops at the beginning of the boil and you will get a more balanced flavorer.

More isn't always better depending on the style. IPA yes, Stout or Scottish ale not so much. It about the amount the AA content and when you place them in the boil that is the dance that goes on the create certain styles of beer.

If you can find a higher alpha acid hop you can use less. The amounts only mater in relation to the AA content. So if you know them try to place some of the higher AA hops at the beginning of the boil and you will get a more balanced flavorer.

More isn't always better depending on the style. IPA yes, Stout or Scottish ale not so much. It about the amount the AA content and when you place them in the boil that is the dance that goes on the create certain styles of beer.
Gotcha, I'm just setting out to make a slightly more hop aromatic Trippel. I'll just go ahead and use the schedule that I've got (adjusted as you mentioned) and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

I'd take the Styrian Golding @ 15 minutes,& add it to the bittering addition @ 60. Then take the Saaz at flame out & add it to the1/2oz @ 20 minutes. 1/2oz of Cascade at flame out added to the 1/2oz @ 10 minutes. Then dry hop 1 week with the two 5 minute additions.

I'd take the Styrian Golding @ 15 minutes,& add it to the bittering addition @ 60. Then take the Saaz at flame out & add it to the1/2oz @ 20 minutes. 1/2oz of Cascade at flame out added to the 1/2oz @ 10 minutes. Then dry hop 1 week with the two 5 minute additions.
Well, I don't want to use pellet hops for dry hopping. I'm still debating on dry hopping this Trippel at all, basically I'm going to taste it after 3 weeks and see how I feel. If it seems like it'd benefit from it I might throw some whole leaf cascade in for a week before I bottle it.

I'm actually in the boil right now, I decided to throw 1oz Styrian and 1oz Willamette for the 60 minute addition. Are the Styrian Goldings not the best aroma hop? I figure they smell pretty good and are low AA so I wanted to add some of them in pretty late to get some aroma out of them.

This is what I've got now for the rest of the boil (I've only done the 60 minute as of now):

1/2oz Saaz - 15min
1/2oz Styrian Golding - 15min
1/2oz Cascade - 10min
1lb Belgian Candy Sugar - 10min
Orange Peel - 5min
1/2oz Styrian Golding - 5 min
1/2oz Saaz - Flame Out
1/2oz Cascade - Flame Out

you can use either kind for dry hopping. Pellet hops are crisper flavored/smelling,raw are smoother either way. I use both for the boil or dry hopping,both work great,contrary to some comments I've seen in my time here. And yes,styrian is fine for flavoring,that was just my initial opinion.
I just find 5 minute or flame out additions to be to light on flavor & aeoma to be truly usefull either way. I cut off flavor additions at eight & a half minutes. Shorter than that doesn't seem to contribute much.

you can use either kind for dry hopping. Pellet hops are crisper flavored/smelling,raw are smoother either way. I use both for the boil or dry hopping,both work great,contrary to some comments I've seen in my time here. And yes,styrian is fine for flavoring,that was just my initial opinion.
I just find 5 minute or flame out additions to be to light on flavor & aeoma to be truly usefull either way. I cut off flavor additions at eight & a half minutes. Shorter than that doesn't seem to contribute much.
Gotcha, that's good to know. I moved all the 5min and flame out additions to 9 minutes.

Back