Im so proud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman67

Reaction score
My boy is making beer for his science fair project

He came to me for ideas for the fair and I told him we could come up with a pretty original (to science fairs at least) idea related to yeast and fermentation

Were going to make a series of starters and examine the effects of agitation on yeast growth

the flasks will be 1. stirplated,2. intermitently swirlled, and 3. left alone
hopefully well get some measureable differences to record

Wish us luck

keep the starters and brew 3 'science fair' beers! if you get a big enough starter maybe brew some barley wine to age until hes old enough?

keep the starters and brew 3 'science fair' beers! if you get a big enough starter maybe brew some barley wine to age until hes old enough?

Check the rules. If this is to be displayed in a school they may have a rule against bringing beer on campus--or displaying it for children. Starters can be presented as yeast cultures, but putting "a head on it" might be a bit too far.

It took some doing but he filled out the paperwork to get approval to use an alcholic beverage in his research because I was afraid of that

I going to have him avoid refering to the fact that he made beer in this process as much as possible

were going to decant the beer and measure the amount of yeast from each starter with a grduated cylindar and compare the three methods

Check the rules. If this is to be displayed in a school they may have a rule against bringing beer on campus--or displaying it for children. Starters can be presented as yeast cultures, but putting "a head on it" might be a bit too far.

sorry, i wasn't very clear. i meant taking the yeast home afterwards and using it, instead of letting it go to waste.

Back