Im new to using pumps, question for y'all.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding a pump to my rig and was just wondering how to properly clean and sanitize it. I'm sure it's simple but just wanted to know before I started guessing. Cheers

Pre brew day I hook a hose up to mine and blow water through it just in case anything built up.

I recirculate during boil which sanitizes it then, followed by a recirculated hot pbw to clean followed again by more water directly in the in port and output is sitting in the sink. Hook up and air compressor to blow out most of the water and it sits until next brew day

After brew day, I just cycle hot water through it, near boiling. Every once in a while I use pbw. To santize, I just cycle the pump the last 5 of boiling.

I fire up the MT to about 150F with light mix of PBW. I pump this hot mix to all pots and plate chiller; the pump gets cleaned doing this, then water to wash the pbw out. I do this pre and post brewing.

Back