I'm in bulkhead/ball valve hell!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
Frustration is taking over. I just got a new cooler for a mash tun. Got the orange round Igloo 10 gallon. I'm having trouble getting the bulkhead and ball valve mounted with no leaks.

NOTE: When I tried the dry fit last night I did not use teflon tape on the threads. I will absolutely use tape, but this was the dry fit so I hadn't put it on yet.

This is the setup I tried last night:
J2IplhM.jpg

Basically on the outside working back towards the cooler wall I have...
Ball Valve > Bulkhead > Flat/Locking Nut > Flat silicone washer

Then on the inside of the cooler working from the cooler wall in...
Bulkhead > Flat washer > Female barb

This was leaking significantly. For starters, I don't know how tight to seat these fittings. I didn't want to crank it so tight that it pushed the o-rings out.

I also have some extra o-rings and fittings from another bulkhead setup:
HjJvRJo.jpg

Basically a locking nut, two o-rings, and a flat washer.

Going back to what I tried last night, do I need to add one of the extra o-rings between the flat washer and the cooler wall on the inside? Do I need to just crank it tighter? Will teflon tape alone fix it?

This is so damn frustrating. Thanks for any advice.

Silicone washer goes on the inside of the kettle wall. You could double up and put one on the outside as well but if your using one, it needs to go on the inside.

Yes, you need a silicone washer on the inside. Tighten hand tight, watch for the silicone washer to start squeezing out of round then back off a tiny bit.

Silicone washer goes on the inside of the kettle wall. You could double up and put one on the outside as well but if your using one, it needs to go on the inside.

Yes, you need a silicone washer on the inside. Tighten hand tight, watch for the silicone washer to start squeezing out of round then back off a tiny bit.
So, on the outside of the cooler, it would just be the flat sided nut (almost like a nut with a washer attached) against the cooler wall, no o-ring? Thanks.

So, on the outside of the cooler, it would just be the flat sided nut (almost like a nut with a washer attached) against the cooler wall, no o-ring? Thanks.

That's right. The silicone is what's stops the water, so you stop it from the inside.

I recently installed the same bulkhead fitting in my kettle. Here is how I did it. The red o-ring and the washer with the machined o-ring groove in it go inside the kettle.

When tightened, against the lock washer on the outside, the red o-ring inside will be enough to seal the hole.

My installation used a 7/8 inch hole and 1/2 NPT close nipple and it sealed perfectly. You need to squeeze the kettle wall between the lock washer on the outside and the red o-ring and grooved washer on the inside of the kettle.

Ditto to the silicone going inside. Use the nut and washer you show on the inside of your pic on the outside. My old set up was exactly this with 3 flat washers stacked on the outside. I mention old because it was before I found Bobby's amazing Weldless bulkheads.

Quick question: In your first photo, the washer that is inside the mash tun, is this washer stainless or galvanized?
J2IplhM.jpg

Also incase moving the gasket doesn't resolve the problem, depending on the diameter of the fitting I usually count out about 6 layers of thread tape.

Ditto to the silicone going inside. Use the nut and washer you show on the inside of your pic on the outside. My old set up was exactly this with 3 flat washers stacked on the outside. I mention old because it was before I found Bobby's amazing Weldless bulkheads.

This..buy quality bulkheads like Bobby has and you will not have issues. The o-ring/groove nut to keep the o-ring from getting squeezed out is genius. I think you can get the grooved nut and o-ring from him separately to use on your current bulkhead and it should get you where you need to be..leak free.

Quick question: In your first photo, the washer that is inside the mash tun, is this washer stainless or galvanized?
J2IplhM.jpg

Also incase moving the gasket doesn't resolve the problem, depending on the diameter of the fitting I usually count out about 6 layers of thread tape.
Good question. I'm 99% sure it's SS. Should be at least...

Back