Im Hooked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBRNUT

Reaction score
My buddy has gotten me hooked on the homebrewing, he brewed an Octoberfest clone that was great. I have now caught the bug, and hope to learn from you all here. I have already ordered my "corny" and accesories. I was just wondering how you all got "hooked"???

Same as yourself. Tried a buddy's chocolate porter and the rest, as they say, is history.

Welcome to the hobby and to the forums!

ChillHayze, How was the Light German Wheat. What is it comparable to? That sounds like something I would be interested in.:off: :mug: :tank:

I enjoyed drinking beer so much that I decided to make my own booze....i guess thats the alcoholics version

Welcome to the forum PBRNUT.

Let's see, how did I get hooked? I was searching for more ways to enhance the quality of my life with bleach when I stumbled on this site. :D

PBRNUT said:
ChillHayze, How was the Light German Wheat. What is it comparable to? That sounds like something I would be interested in.:off: :mug: :tank:

It's not a *true* german wheat because less than 60% of the grist is wheat, but it is quite good and not as filling as a true weizen beer. Basically it's 3 lbs of Wheat DME, and 5 lbs of 2-row base malt and 1/4 lb of acidulated malt for efficiency. These grains must be mashed at a low temp (150-152) for over an hour to achieve the lightest body possible. I used WYeast 3333 as I like the friuty sherry flavor, and it's high floccutaion - that is it drops out of the beer moreso than say a 3068 bav wheat strain.

If you're doing extract only, try the following recipe:

3 lbs Wheat DME
2.5 lbs Extra Light DME (use a dryer brand like Muntons)
add 1 lb of extract every 10 min into the boil for lighter color
1 oz Hallertau or other low AA german hop boiled for 60 min
WYeast 3333 smackpack 125ml - no starter necessary

PM me if you need any additional advice.

Bored at work one day and was sick of drinking ****ty storebought.....oh and I found this site!

Welcome!

Every since the first time I was mesmerized by the sight of a whirling, swirling fermentation in a glass carboy, I have been hopelessly drawn to it.

I still catch myself sitting in front of my carboys for long lengths of time watching the fermentation while I drink a beer.

The thought of creating my own brew, that i can impress friends with!! First impressed my friends with my 3rd brew.. Strawberry honey wheat!!

Now im having fun creating.

Had an Apricot Wheat Beer at a microbrewery in St Louis and really liked it. Never was a big fan of "massive-produced brew" but enjoyed the beer because it had a very good flavor and mouth-feel. Found a home brew for dummies book and read and thought about it for a couple of years before plunging. Hooked big time now and am learning about different styles of beers and what SWMBO and I like. the slippery slope of brew is definitely there in terms of equipment, but "It's All Good!!!""

Glad I found this site, because it has made alot of things much clearer and there is something for all levels to learn.

:tank:

Back