I'm Happiest When...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We all got into this hobby/obsession for pretty much the same reason...we love beer and everything about it. What is/are the one/two/three/infinity thing (s) that make it all worthwhile for you?

For me it has to be walking out to my garage, pulling a beautiful pint of whatever I have on tap, and saying to myself, "I brewed this and it's a fantastic beer." I like to share it with friends, but hate to admit I'm a selfish beast at times and like to keep it all for myself!

Either seeing someone's face when they're trying my beer for the first time and they realise how damn good home brew can be..

Either that or during the summer when the barbecue is warming up, I'm on my third pint and a full keg still to go....

I love to surprise myself with a beer better than expected. Also get a kick outta friends and family nodding their heads with wide eyes as they drink one.

I also really like when I problem solve any issues that crop up during the process. Today I made minor adjustments to the recipe and strike volumes in the fly and all is right in my brewing world!

I may be the odd man out here, but I never considered myself a beer lover, in fact I rarely drank beer and didn't care much for it. The exception was the dark, malty tap beers in England and Ireland, such as stouts and brown ales, but the bottle versions here in the USA were too hoppy and carbonated for my taste. I eventually came to realize that I did like beer, just not the pale, crisp, dry, alcoholic, hoppy, and highly carbonated styles that seem to dominate in the States.

Part of the reason I got into brewing was that I could design and make the style of beer that I did like, by controlling the grain bill, mash temperature, fermenting conditions, alcohol content, hop bitterness and flavor, and carbonation.

The other reason is that I am a scientist who spent my career formulating, testing, and selling synthetic lubricants, and my free time growing vegetables, making sauces, and canning. The common factor here is creating something new and innovative from scratch, something I can call my own and be proud of.

When I attended a beer brewing demonstration last year I was immediately attracted to the process and instantly bought a starter brewing kit. My very first attempt was an all grain, 5 gallon batch of stout from a recipe, which came out great. From then on I have been studying brewing and formulating my own recipes, each getting better than the last. I am now hooked!

I still don't drink a lot of beer (at least not by the standards here); I was always a fine wine drinker. These days I split my consumption by having some beer evenings, and some wine evenings. I have a whole new outlook on beer now that I can brew what I want and like. This forum has been a great source of helpful education and I appreciate all of the valuable input from all of you!

TomVA

I love talking about homebrew with people who are interested. Either they be aspiring home brewers, beer lovers, or just curious how I made something or a part of the process. I love talking about why I made the choices I made and describing what the intent of a certain ingredient or process was and giving examples to compare. I also just really love pulling a pint off my tap looking and the clear beautiful nectar I created and enjoying the fruits of my creativity and execution. Great hobby

Getting up early on a cool, calm day to brew beer. Taking that time for myself and not being bothered for a little while. Pulling a pint after a day of work is also very satisfying.

I love everything about it.

I love the learning part. Reading newbie questions on the boards and all the answers, there are always one or two answers that are "ah... I never thought about trying THAT..." or reading a book or an article about something new or something I haven't tried before. Diving into some micro-element of brewing just to learn stuff about it.

Brew Day! This is the highlight of my week. Make sure my starter has time to be finished, ingredients are here, we have enough propane, everything is clean, etc... Then comes the big day! It is my day of Zen! Just me, the water, the grain and the beer... Ahhhhh! The whole process from start to finish, problems and all, this is my fun. I love it all. I like to write it all down so I can look at it afterwards to see what went well, what didn't go well and if there any things that I learned that I could change on the next brew day to make it better.

I also love drinking the beer and sharing it with friends and family. It is great to be able to create the perfect beer. The beer that you love. The beer that you can't find in the stores. The beer that everyone wants you to bring to the party or BBQ because it tastes so freaking good! THAT beer!

getting ****faced.

lol, like someone said previous its always great when a "i drink busch only" guy tries your brews and then weeks later hes telling you about all the new craft beer hes tried.

I like the camaraderie that I feel when I meet other brewers. Homebrewers are just about the most laid back and easy people to talk to, and I meet them just about everywhere I go. I hung out with some guys at HomeBrewSupply yesterday. I think I was supposed to assist the brewing process, but instead I spent a great time talking beer with other passionate beer brewers.

I love that craft beer seems to be a universal language!

Getting up early on a cool, calm day to brew beer. Taking that time for myself and not being bothered for a little while. Pulling a pint after a day of work is also very satisfying.

^^ me too. I brewed today (2 batches). Quiet day, got started early, took my time. Marlee the wonderdog kept an eye on the squirrels (I brew out back).

Zen. Nothing's gonna change my world.

I think my favorite part about being a homebrewer is the research, preparation, construction of brewing tools, finding solutions that fit my specific needs. I wish I could say that the tasting was the best part but I already knew I enjoyed that before I became a homebrewer, now it's both a fine beverage and the reward for the other parts I enjoy.

I also really enjoy the discussions on this site. I don't know any beer enthusiasts in person so I get the privilege to converse the hobby with you fine folk! :mug:

My favorite is when someone who has never tried homebrewed beer before tries mine with skepticism and then comes back asking for another pint.

When I come home from a day at the work and pull the pint and that first sip is rewarding to the max.:mug:

I love building recipes and see how something I created turns out. I enjoy having other people drink my beer and give me feedback on what they think of it.
Same here. I create all my own recipes based with some research here to see what hops or grain ratios play well together. :tank:

Back