Im dumb and now my beer smells like bananas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I pitched my yeast too hot and now i got that dreaded bananas aroma, can i mask this with a strong dry hop or will it fade as it ferments (day4/14)

What year did you use? What was your pitch temp? And have you tasted the beer to see if it tastes like banana? In my experience, aromas during fermentation don't always transfer into the finished beer.

AFAIK esters like banana will not fade away completely, but you can do some research on what will consume that particular ester. I wonder if Brett might convert it to something more tropical...the strain of Brett matters tho...
Bear in mind that you may want to try adding a strong but complimentary flavor like chocolate if you don't feel like waiting.
I personally wouldn't do a dry hop in this case.

You do have a thermometer and/or a temp strip on your fermentor don’t you?
How did you chill your wort. How did you manage your fermentation temp ?
Lots of questions but they need to be considered.

Plastic carboy fermentor, cooled it down by adding room temp water (3 gal) to the concentrated wort batch (2gal), have kept it in a closet ever since

How hot was it? US-05 is good up to 82F ( https://fermentis.com/en/fermentation-solutions/you-create-beer/safale-us-05/ ), so did you pitch it like a kveik?

I've done several batches with US-05, where I pitched hot and fermented at 80F and never got any off flavours or banana esters. And half of those beers were not heavily hopped, so the ester had nothing to hide behind. I've fermented it lower and got that slight overriped peach, which was not troublesome.

Since it's an IPA, you will dry hop it anyway, so I think you shoud be fine. The ester will not go away, but it will become less apparent as time goes by. But then again, as time goes by, IPAs also lose their intensity. Drink it fresh and enjoy, take notes and prepare for the next batch.

And you can be happy it's an ester and not phenolics. Those are not in any way good or welcome in an IPA.

I pitched my yeast too hot and now i got that dreaded bananas aroma, can i mask this with a strong dry hop or will it fade as it ferments (day4/14)
what beer is it? If its a hef. send it to me ...my wife loves the banana flavors of a hef.
I made myself slow down and wait before pitching. I would pitch too hot by a few degrees ,not enough to kill the yeast but it was warm. Youre going to wait almost 2 weeks anyway , whats one more day or overnight to cool off to the right temp?

Latest posts

Back